cotton balls in small seed-starting exeperiments for young children

buritsch

Jun 17, 2024, 1:46:36 PMJun 17
to School Garden Support Organization Network
For years, we have made "Seed Baby Necklaces" with young children, in which a seed is placed on a moist cotton ball in a clear baggy and they wear them as necklaces to watch them germinate.  (See attached)

Recently, a parent reached out and said that it was culturally offensive for their child to wear a necklace with a cotton ball around their neck.  I am considering using a shred of moistened paper towel instead.

I am curious if anyone else has run into a similar situation and am open to ideas.

Thank you,

Heather Buritsch
Seed Baby Necklace.pdf