Drip Irrigation Training?

Ary Solomon

Feb 22, 2022, 6:52:10 PM2/22/22
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of any trainings around drip irrigation systems? Designing them, installation, troubleshooting, etc. I'm in Portland, OR and would love an in-person training, but would definitely check out a virtual one. I have some amount of knowledge, just am looking for getting some more comprehensive information.

Thanks!

--
Ary Solomon (they/them)
Site Coordinator

4815 NE 7th Ave
Portland, OR 97211
Traditional Lands of the Five Tribes of The Chinook Indian Nation

Havilah Mills

Feb 22, 2022, 7:39:51 PM2/22/22
to Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network
Aloha Ary, great question! This is a huge need across all school gardens. If a virtual training were available, I would love to offer it to our island garden coordinators and lead teachers! Please keep me in the loop on this one.

Mahalo!

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

--
Havilah Mills
Program Manager

Natalie McKinney

Feb 22, 2022, 7:45:49 PM2/22/22
to Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network
Aloha!
Please keep us in the loop too!

Mahalo,
Natalie

Natalie McKinney
Senior Program Director
Kōkua Hawaiʻi Foundation
P.O. Box 866
Haleʻiwa, HI 96712

Judith Fallows

Feb 23, 2022, 10:26:50 AM2/23/22
to Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network
We also are very interested in this kind of support! I'm in Watertown, MA just across the river from Boston's northwest corner. With some of our COVID funds we were able to purchase starter kits from Dripworks for our 5 school gardens, but installing them seems daunting, especially when we think about the sustainability of our systems over time and issues around summer garden care that drip irrigation can help to solve. We hope.

I wonder if we could get Dripworks to run a webinar for us? or a series for schools. It would be good marketing for them, although I suspect they are overwhelmed with business already. Still, schools are probably a growing market and also kind of specialized in our issues (changing and unspecialized staff and volunteers that need to keep things working and such).

I think it would be worth reaching out. Any other ideas of who might provide this support? Running webinars to address specific issues in school gardens for drip irrigation?

judy

Judy Fallows, School Garden Coordinator
Watertown School Gardens website
"kids who grow veggies, eat veggies!"

When writing or responding, please remember that any email sent or received by an employee of the Watertown Public Schools is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law, M.G.L. c.66.  This email message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information covered under the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or other student records laws.  If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, print, copy, disseminate or otherwise use this email (or any attachments) or any part thereof.  If you have received this email (and any attachments) in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies from your system.

Moses Thompson

Feb 23, 2022, 10:38:11 AM2/23/22
to Judith Fallows, Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network
Our team could do a virtual training. Heck we could do an in-person training if ya'll want to come to Tucson.

 We just did a training last week on drip irrigation for Tucson Unified School District so we've got it ready to go. That said it'd be nice to tailor it to the needs of the folks requesting so maybe we could do an initial Zoom call if ya'll want to take us up on it.

Moses

Laney Cline King

Feb 23, 2022, 10:47:46 AM2/23/22
to Moses Thompson, Judith Fallows, Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network
Great thread.  I would love to attend and invite our team of garden educators.
--
Laney Cline King, LCSW / Pronouns: She, Her, Hers
Growing Healthy Kids (formerly MDUSD Garden Education Program)

Dana Scheffen

Feb 23, 2022, 11:02:54 AM2/23/22
to Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network
If you live in an area with a lot of diversified vegetable farms (like Portland) it is likely that there are also local farmers taking on consulting roles to diversify their income. That is where I would start if I was looking for in person training. Sometimes your local extension office will have an agricultural consultant that should be informed on drip as well, which might be free. Contracting Dripworks as Judith mentioned is another good idea.

As a grower the main issues I have encountered are the need to replace leaky dripline each year (a lot of plastic waste), leaks which can flood seedlings out if gone unnoticed, finding the extra time in spring to lay it down before planting, wind damage if not used in a hoophouse or under plastic, and creating a route for the hose that no one is going to run over with a mower.

--
Dana Scheffen
Doubly Good Flower Farm

"Dandelion's impetuous blossoming is Nature's never-ending reminder that diversity is favored, and therefor rules."  -James Green

John Fisher

Feb 23, 2022, 11:58:30 AM2/23/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network, Judith Fallows, Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon
I second the shout out to Dripworks, I love Dripworks.
Their Drip Planning Guide is great place to start learning https://www.dripworks.com/resources/drip-planning-guide

They have knowledgeable staff that talk to you on the phone and they give discounts to school gardens!

Their kit videos and garden girl videos are both very relevant to school garden bed systems

John Fisher
www.lifelab.org
831.471.7831 mobile

Douglas Vernon

Feb 23, 2022, 1:32:37 PM2/23/22
to Moses Thompson, Judith Fallows, Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network
That is a very nice offer, Moses.  I think it's a great idea and a great place to start.  It might help beginners, in particular, know what questions to ask local resources as they encounter problems in the future.

--
Doug Vernon
Extension Assistant - School Gardens

Office: 704 250-5473

Erin Croom

Feb 23, 2022, 1:40:21 PM2/23/22
to Douglas Vernon, Moses Thompson, Judith Fallows, Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, Ary Solomon, School Garden Support Organization Network

Ary Solomon

Feb 23, 2022, 5:49:11 PM2/23/22
to Erin Croom, Douglas Vernon, Moses Thompson, Judith Fallows, Natalie McKinney, Havilah Mills, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hey folks,

Well! It certainly seems like there's quite a need for more information, trainings, and resources around drip irrigation in school gardens. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Here's what I'm seeing, and some follow-up steps I'll commit to doing:

- I will reach out to Drip Works (and Rain Bird which already has some trainings it seems) and see if they'd be willing to do some sort of webinar training on drip irrigation for school gardens. I'll follow up here!
- I'll also look into my local extension office to see if they have any other ideas.
- Moses-and-team have offered to do a virtual training on this - Moses, do you want to let us know if you end up doing that so folks can come? I have a small amount of capacity for helping coordinate, but reach out if you'd like and I'd be happy to support however I can.
- In the meantime, seems like the resource from Drip Works is The One right now. Glad it exists, and also if anyone has the knowledge, time, and interest to make a drip guide specific to school gardens... could be really awesome?

Thanks everyone!
Ary

Shital Parikh

Feb 23, 2022, 5:52:29 PM2/23/22
to Ary Solomon, Douglas Vernon, Erin Croom, Havilah Mills, Judith Fallows, Moses Thompson, Natalie McKinney, School Garden Support Organization Network
I would love to attend if I can make it.
Shital

--
Shital Parikh
Master Gardener, School Garden Consultant

awr...@mountainsongschool.com

Feb 23, 2022, 6:33:26 PM2/23/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network
I would also be very interested in training regarding drip irrigation! I hope to install drip irrigation in our school's 20 raised bed this year. Thanks for all of those who have provided resources already, and I think a virtual training targeted to food educators would be a wonderful opportunity!

tamara o'brien

Feb 24, 2022, 7:17:15 AM2/24/22
to Shital Parikh, Ary Solomon, Douglas Vernon, Erin Croom, Havilah Mills, Judith Fallows, Moses Thompson, Natalie McKinney, School Garden Support Organization Network
If a training is set up I would love to attend! I don't have much to add on the drip irrigation for school gardens as I have not installed one yet.  I do have drip irrigation in my home garden beds but it's a very old self created system, my hoses twist, and I don't love it. I would never put what I have into a school garden so I would love to learn about some more options!

Tristana Pirkl

Feb 24, 2022, 11:49:23 AM2/24/22
to tamara o'brien, Shital Parikh, Ary Solomon, Douglas Vernon, Erin Croom, Havilah Mills, Judith Fallows, Moses Thompson, Natalie McKinney, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for letting us know what you need! We're working on planning a drip irrigation training with Moses and a couple of others. It'll be a webinar hosted by the Network and recorded and archived in our webinar library. We'll share more specifics soon!

As Erin said, "this is the best list serve ever!". Thanks so much for bringing your questions and sharing your solutions.

Best,
Tristana

Tristana Pirkl
Director
School Garden Support Organization (SGSO) Network
(She/Her)
www.sgsonetwork.org

Shital Parikh

Feb 24, 2022, 12:06:12 PM2/24/22
to Tristana Pirkl, Ary Solomon, Douglas Vernon, Erin Croom, Havilah Mills, Judith Fallows, Moses Thompson, Natalie McKinney, School Garden Support Organization Network, tamara o'brien
Thanks so much. Much needed training. 🌿💧🌸💧🌿

Tristana Pirkl

Mar 18, 2022, 6:55:42 PM3/18/22
to Shital Parikh, Ary Solomon, Douglas Vernon, Erin Croom, Havilah Mills, Judith Fallows, Moses Thompson, Natalie McKinney, School Garden Support Organization Network, tamara o'brien
Hi Everyone,

We've scheduled a webinar for April 6 from 11am-12:15pm PT/2-3:15 pm ET to host a drip irrigation training for school gardens by Moses, Brit and Caleb of the University of Arizona Community and School Garden Program!

Learn more on our website and sign up here. This webinar will be recorded and hosted in our recording library if you're not able to join live. I'd recommend registering either way to get an automated email of the recording and also share any questions ahead of time so that they can be included in the development of the webinar.

Hope to see you there!

Best,
Tristana

Tristana Pirkl
Director
School Garden Support Organization (SGSO) Network
(She/Her)
www.sgsonetwork.org

Tristana Pirkl

Apr 4, 2022, 8:10:51 PM4/4/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi everyone,

REMINDER: Drip Irrigation Training Webinar this Wednesday April 6 from 11am-12:15pm PT/2-3:15PM ET.

Register here

All SGSO Network webinars are recorded and archived in our webinar recording library.