Healing the Roots of Racism Series and more

Whitney Cohen

Dec 17, 2020, 5:35:13 PM12/17/20
to SGSO Network
Hi all,
I thought these upcoming workshops looked wonderful and might be of interest.
Happy Holidays!
Whitney

Whitney Cohen (pronoun: she)
Education Director, Life Lab
educ...@lifelab.org
831-459-5395
See how we’re changing the nature of education!

Begin forwarded message:

From: Farm-Based Education Network <in...@farmbasededucation.org>
Subject: Learning with Atiya Wells
Date: December 9, 2020 at 10:24:25 AM PST

You met her in 2019, and she'll be sharing again in this week's community check-in
Remember meeting Atiya Wells as she shared Bliss Meadows, her 10-acre land reclamation project in Baltimore at the 2019 FBEN Conference?

We're so excited to welcome Atiya back into our virtual community one year later to hear her news and wisdom. During this week's 90-minute Community Check-In, we'll learn updates from Bliss Meadows and RootDown LA, before participants move into breakout rooms to connect with one another. Join us!

December 10, 2020
3:30 - 5 :00 ET/2:30 - 4:00 CT / 12:30-2:00 Pacific.

Upcoming Workshops
From Baltimore to Los Angeles:
A Community Check-In with Bliss Meadows, RootDown LA, and You

December 10, 2020 | 3:30 - 5:00 EST

You've summoned courage, creativity, and flexibility this year, and we invite you to gather in celebration of your work and in support of one another as the year comes to a close. Join panelists Atiya Wells of Bliss Meadows in Baltimore, MD and Karen Ramirez and Jocelyn Ramirez of Root Down LA in Los Angeles, who will share some reflections from 2020, before moving into breakout rooms for discussion. Through this workshop, you'll be reminded that you're not alone in connecting people with agriculture and food. Root Down Photo: @jgutierre098. Goat: @BackyardBasecamp

Healing the Roots of Racism in Ourselves
March 5, 12, 19, 2021 | Virtual Workshop

This series creates space for healing from white supremacy culture and transforming anti-Blackness through land, food and ecological relationships. In this series participants will practice a creative combination of healing practices ranging from somatic awareness to spoken word inspired writing. Join this series to rediscover, relearn, and reimagine in our current crisis-driven reality. Facilitated by Julia Metzger-Traber and Richael FaithfulPhoto: Andrew Buchanan. Registration coming soon!
Service to Justice Virtual Leadership Training
January 11 - 15 | 2-5 pm ET

Thanks for your overwhelming interest in this workshop! It is currently full, so we're hoping to offer another one for FBEN members in 2021!
Job Alert: Associate Director, Sierra Harvest, Nevada City, CA
Join the Sierra Harvest team! The Associate Director (AD) plays a key role within the leadership team of Sierra Harvest, and is considered bench strength for the Executive Director (ED). The AD reports to the ED and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission as well as select program and financial objectives. The AD contributes to the organization’s long-range strategy, ensuring that SH makes consistent and timely progress towards achieving its mission. The AD oversees communications for the organization, speaks on behalf of the organization, and builds relationships that create sustainable funding and infrastructure for long-term operations. The AD leads program staff and volunteers to manage the daily operational activities of the organization.

Bayer Fund Grants Nominating Window!
Nominate rural schools for this excellent award from the Bayer Fund! Window for nominations begins January 1 and ends April 1. The Grow Rural Education program allows eligible farmers to nominate their local public school district for grants to help enhance STEM education. Once nominated, school districts submit applications to compete for $10,000 or $25,000 grants to help fund projects that enhance their STEM curriculum. These grants are helping to improve test scores, but better yet, they're getting kids to think bigger about their tomorrow.

Share this announcement with your schools! More information here: America's Farmers Grow Rural Education and Official Rules here: AFGRE Official Rules
Upcoming Webinars
Registration via the School Garden Support Organization

  • 12/16/20: Winter Programming During Covid-19 Webinar

  • 1/13/21: Designing Garden Education to Support English Language Learners

  • 3/10/21: Sustaining & Institutionalizing School Garden Programs

  • 3/17/21: Finding & Sequencing High Quality Lessons

  • 4/7/21: Strengthening Equity & Inclusion in Garden Education

  • 4/14/21: Program Assessment - Measuring & Sharing Impact
Looking for gender-inclusive ways to address your students?
There are a lot of ways to call-in students of any gender! Why try out these terms with your students? Because often we get stuck with, "boys and girls," "ladies and gentlemen", which communicate that there are just two genders, when actually there are more. GLSEN writes, "Gender Binary is a socially constructed system of viewing gender as consisting solely of two categories, “male” and “female,” in which no other possibilities for gender are believed to exist. The gender binary is a restrictive and inaccurate way to view gender because it does not take into account the diversity of gender identities and gender expressions among all people. The gender binary is oppressive to anyone that does not conform to dominant societal gender norms." Learn more...
Virtual Conference Seeks Speakers
Greater Newark Conservancy seeks speakers for "Planting Seeds of Change: Gardening as a Path Towards Empowerment, Justice, and Change"

The virtual conference will feature workshops and presentations that will lay the groundwork for novice gardeners as they begin their journeys, in addition to sessions that promote the continued education of more advanced gardeners. All participants, regardless of skill level, are also invited to several discussions that explicitly connect small acts of gardening with the larger potential for social justice and change. They are looking for speakers! Apply by January 4, 2020.
International Farm-Based Education
The University of Vermont Extension has offered a series of agritourism workshops as part of the International Workshop on Agritourism. We're sure you'll enjoy the variety of panelists and breadth of topics covered, especially the "Creating Virtual Farm and Food Experiences" recording and "Farm-Based Education in Every City and Town: Four Unique Stories" upcoming on January 13! View recordings and register.
Online Market Case Study from Vermont
Learn how one local food network created a virtual market for producers in the early days of the pandemic. Read what they did, how they did it, and what they learned, and how they're planning for future resiliency.
Farming the Sea
Maine Ag in the Classroom produced a farm tour of Pemetic Sea Farms in Surry, Maine hosted by Anne Noll. Check it out!
Farm-Based Education Network | Farm-Based Education Network, c/o Shelburne Farms, 1611 Harbor Road,
Shelburne, VT 05482
Unsubscribe educ...@lifelab.org
Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by in...@farmbasededucation.org powered by
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.

Sarah Holway

Dec 17, 2020, 5:52:02 PM12/17/20
to Whitney Cohen, SGSO Network
I would second that and re: the Healing the Roots of Racism in Ourselves Workshop, we have been working deeply with Julia and Richael at DC Greens for two years now, as a whole staff, and it has been utterly transformational, both for the organization and for me personally, and I know the rest of our staff would say the same. Their wisdom can't be measured and the kindness and presence with which they facilitate is just beautiful.

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

--
Sarah Holway
(she/her/hers)