We are Hiring 7 AmeriCorps Garden Educators!

Sorrell Redford

May 2, 2022, 11:10:47 AM5/2/22
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi from the Montezuma School to Farm Project!

We are hiring 7 AmeriCorps for the 2022-2023 season! We are located in Cortez, Mancos and Dolores Colorado. The Garden Educator position starts in August and ends the following July, it is a 1 year, paid position and we help find housing. There are numerous other benefits. Please pass along this job posting (full posting is below the image) to your networks and help us find some amazing school garden teachers for the next school year! Thanks!
_2022-2023 Americorps Crew Hiring (1).png

Job: Become a garden educator in Montezuma County Colorado! The job involves hands-on gardening/farming in our seven beautiful school gardens, while also teaching pre-K through 8th grade students about gardening, nutrition, agriculture and resource management. Learn how non-profits operate and work with an amazing team! This is an AmeriCorps service position which is paid and has many benefits. Live and work near skiing, climbing, hiking, paddle boarding and hiking!

Duties (you will recieve training in all aspects of the job)

  • Teach hands-on garden classes to students preK-8th grade (majority of teaching is elementary aged students)
  • Write lesson plans and teach existing curriculum
  • Prepare weekly tastings for students using garden produce
  • Support teachers in classroom management
  • Teach in the outdoor classroom at least 10 days a month, sometimes indoors when the weather is poor
  • Teach lessons about a variety of topics including environmental science, gardening, nutrition, resource management and agriculture

In addition to education, the Garden Educator is also involved in the upkeep and maintenance of the production gardens. Responsibilities include:

  • Care and upkeep of fruit trees, herbs, vegetables, flowers other native plants
  • Seed-starting and garden planning in springtime
  • Maintaining the garden throughout the year
  • Planting and propagating plants; managing the greenhouse and high-tunnel
  • General garden maintenance

Terms of Service

Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Weekend work is occasionally expected. Primary service locations include elementary school gardens in Cortez, Dolores, and Mancos as well as a production garden at Cortez Middle School. Members typically serve in an outdoor environment during the warmer months and in an office environment for winter/offseason. This program is a year long commitment which runs from the beginning of August through the end of July. Full time work is required. Members must complete 1700 hours of service to be eligible for an education award. Members have sufficient time to complete this term of service.

Preferred Qualifications

  • Knowledge and skills in small-scale organic food production or home gardening;
  • Knowledge of or interest in topics including urban gardening, botany, environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, food access;
  • Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations including youth and adults;
  • Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking skills;
  • Ability to work independently and be flexible;
  • Computer skills and project management skills.
  • Garden Educators will be physically capable of lifting up to 50 pounds, performing farming tasks including digging, weeding, planting, harvesting, and using various gardening tools
  • A personal vehicle is recommended

Benefits and Pay

  • $1466 monthly living allowance
  • $6495 education award (can be used to pay student loans, take classes and much more)
  • $25 gas allowance monthly
  • Relocation allowance
  • Qualifies for medicaid and food allowance
  • Time off and sick days included

How to Apply:

If you would like an application please email hir...@mstfp.org(link sends e-mail), we will send you more information and the application materials. You will need to apply through AmeriCorps, but we can walk you through the process!

--
Sorrell Redford
Education Manager