Native or Indigenous resources for culturally responsive garden teaching?

Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN)

Nov 12, 2020, 6:20:08 PM11/12/20
to SGSO Network

Hi everyone,

Do you have a favorite or trusted resource to incorporate native or indigenous culturally responsive teaching into your garden? Whether that’s planting, curriculum, books, etc? Please share any and all.

Thank you!

Be well,

Tristana

TRISTANA PIRKL (she/her/hers)
Edible Education Programs Leader

WholeKidsFoundation.org
A Whole Foods Market Foundation

signature_853715406

Deborah S

Nov 12, 2020, 6:48:34 PM11/12/20
to Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN), SGSO Network
Hi Tristana,

The Johns Hopkins Center for American Indian Health has some good resources. Here’s one: https://caih.jhu.edu/assets/documents/ESG_Implementation_Guide_final_8.3.17.pdf

Also check Seeds of Native Health: https://seedsofnativehealth.org/

Regards,
Debbie Schnur

Health Educator
Riverside County Department of Public Health

<image001.png>

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

Arlene Marturano

Nov 12, 2020, 8:20:35 PM11/12/20
to Deborah S, Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN), SGSO Network
Native Seeds SEARCH co-founded by anthropologist Gary Paul Nabhan and his book Coming Home to Eat  are excellent resources.

Arlene Marturano, Ph.D.
SC Garden-based Learning Network

John Fisher

Nov 13, 2020, 12:49:02 AM11/13/20
to Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN), SGSO Network
The Living Classroom, a SGSO in the South San Francisco Bay Area, has incorporated native plantings in their garden classrooms. They install nice perennial landscapes with interpretive signs and some of their lessons refer to these plantings. Here is a summary of the native plants they plant

-- JOHN
John Fisher - Director of Programs & Partnerships - 831.471.7831 - lifelab.org/john
Life Lab cultivates children's love of learning, healthy food, and nature through garden-based education.
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with locations in Santa Cruz and Watsonville, CA

Katherine Rakowski

Nov 13, 2020, 8:57:09 AM11/13/20
to Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN), SGSO Network
Greetings all,

I am also interested in this topic.

Thank you,
Kat

Moses Thompson

Nov 13, 2020, 9:33:12 AM11/13/20
to Katherine Rakowski, Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN), SGSO Network
Hi everyone,

This summer we produced what we're calling our ecoregional school gardener's almanac which situates school gardening in our ecoregion with a focus on traditional knowledge. We partnered with our friends who help curate the traditional knowledge of our region to create content for each of our regional seasons.

We garden on the ancestral lands of the Tohono O'odham people: pages 4/5 are a map of our ecoregion and an acknowledgement of the land by our friend Jesus Garcia. Pages 6/7 are a traditional Tohono O'odham calendar and description written by our friend Nacho Little Eagle Flores. Other pages of note for culturally responsive teaching are 22/23, and 42-45.

-Moses
UA Community and School Garden Program

Nathan Larson

Nov 13, 2020, 2:54:46 PM11/13/20
to Moses Thompson, Katherine Rakowski, Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN), SGSO Network
Thanks for beginning this conversation, Tristana. Thanks also to everyone who has shared information and resources thus far.

Here are some good additional teachings and resources:
Best,

Nathan

Whitney Cohen

Nov 17, 2020, 12:31:14 PM11/17/20
to Nathan Larson, Moses Thompson, Katherine Rakowski, Tristana Pirkl, SGSO Network
Hi all,

This is a wonderful collection of resources. Thanks for asking the question, and for everyone who has contributed ideas. I also asked Judit Camacho, our co-ED at Life Lab, about this, as she previously worked at the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS). Here is her reply:

The one link from SACNAS that immediately comes to mind is the SACNAS Biography Project. We started in the 90's to share virtual role models from Chicano/Latinx and Native communities that students across the country could relate to. The biographies are written in first person to facilitate the students' connection to the scientist and to inspire them to consider STEM degrees that interweave with our cultures.

All My Best,
Whitney

Whitney Cohen (pronoun: she)
Education Director, Life Lab
educ...@lifelab.org
831-459-5395
See how we’re changing the nature of education!