Educators: Here's a $2,000 grant opportunity!

Laura Thompson

Sep 3, 2021, 4:20:49 PM9/3/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network

Happy Friday, everyone!

We at Big Green are thrilled to announce Big Green Jumpstart — created to accelerate outdoor learning, more important than ever as we face the continued impact of COVID-19 and its variants. We're offering $2,000 grants to schools across America. How the funds are used is entirely up to you.

Thanks to the support of a generous donor and the resources developed over the last year by Big Green and other incredible organizations like Green Schoolyards America, the Children and Nature Network, and the School Garden Support Organization Network, we'll support you as you leverage your Learning Garden to help as many kids as possible spend time learning in the open air.

Is your school a fit?

Educators who meet the following guidelines are encouraged to attend the Big Green Jumpstart webinar for more details:

  • Your school has a garden and you want to do more with it.
  • Your school is planning for or has already identified ways to teach in the garden, right now.
  • You need more funds to engage more kids in more outdoor learning.

If you don't meet the requirements for this grant, we’re still here to help you teach outside. We’re curating a resource library with contributions from Big Green and our outdoor learning partners. To request access, share your email.

Ready to apply? Here are important dates and deadlines for the first round of grants.

September 8, 2021 - Required Grantseeker Webinar

September 15, 2021 - Applications Due

September 17, 2021 - Grant Disbursement Begins

You'll receive the application and learn more about the program during our webinar on September 8th. Choose a session and RSVP below.

Required Grantseeker Webinar

Option 1
September 8
9:00-10:00 AM EST

Required Grantseeker Webinar

Option 2

September 8
1:30-2:30 PM EST

Can’t make the first date? Don’t worry. We will have a second round of grants beginning the week of September 13th. Required grantseeker webinar for Round 2 will be on 9/15, times TBD.

Questions? Ideas? Just excited? Email us at jump...@biggreen.org.

Shital Parikh

Sep 3, 2021, 5:52:43 PM9/3/21
to Laura Thompson, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello Laura

I have signed up for the Sept 1st grant seeker webinar.  Since the last few months we have been working overtime to build and revamp outdoor school gardens in San Diego and surrounding schools districts.

 I am a master gardener since 2014 and regional coordinator for San Diego. We have many schools that are high performing in outdoor learning and in 2021 we’ve been in undated with for school gardens revivals and requests for new garden outdoor learning spaces. I’ll forward your email to about 300 schools in San Diego with active school garden programs pre covid.

Teachers are busy in sept as our schools have opened since the last couple weeks.

Is there a way I can represent the very high performing outdoor learning school garden programs under my preview with the teacher being the 2nd contact?

This is a much needed grant and It’s great to see the offer.  How many grant requests will the organization approve for San Diego and surrounding regions?  Since teachers are busy, we will recommend they attend if there is a real chance to being considered. If is one grant for San Diego region it’s wrong of me to ask 100-300 schools to apply.

Shital Parikh
San Diego Master Gardner, school garden consultant, regional coordinator

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.