Allison Hyman

Jul 24, 2019, 4:33:59 PM7/24/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have examples of school garden policy that has either been implemented at the district level or the school level? Thinking of language that honors the importance garden(s), guarantees continuity, and possibly even ensures dedicated funding.

We're working with a garden/greenhouse that wants to commit their school to each student having at least one meaningful interaction with the garden each school year, PTO involvement, and a garden committee. Our hope is to expand this level of commitment to the district level, but we are not there yet.

Any draft or dream language is great to see as well!

Thanks.

Sam Ullery (OSSE)

Jul 29, 2019, 10:26:31 AM7/29/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Allison, This may not help- but we do have a state policy here in DC that funds the school garden program out of the state education office. Here's the legislation https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/38-821.02.html. I'm happy to discuss more with you if you are interested in the details.

Off the top of my head, Tucson Unified School District, Berkley, Cambridge, Oakland, and Chicago Public Schools probably each have a policy, happy to put you in touch with them if you are interested.

Most schools in DC incorporate school garden policies into the local wellness policy. Hope this helps!

Sam