How Our Food Choices Impact Climate

Hope Gribble

Mar 11, 2024, 12:36:12 PMMar 11
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello all! I'm teaming up with our school's 5th grade teacher on a persuasive writing unit. We'd like to explore the Essential Question: "How can our food choices contribute to a healthier planet, and what actions can we take to reduce our environmental impact while nourishing ourselves and our communities?" with a focus on three solution areas: Plant-Rich Diets, Local & Sustainable Agriculture, and Reducing Food Waste. I'm currently looking for resources and approaches for introducing the climate impact of food choices and exploring these solution areas. In addition to having students write essays on contributing to a healthier plant via food choices (which will likely need to address pros and cons - with the cons being harder to find!), I'm hoping this may also lead to advocating for more meat-free meals at school, creating a collection of plant-based recipes and tips, conducing food waste audits, etc. Does anyone in the group have experience introducing this topic - or do you have ideas and resources you might share?

Sincere thanks!
Hope Gribble
Garden Education Coordinator
Principia School

Whitney Cohen

Mar 11, 2024, 1:48:03 PMMar 11
to Hope Gribble, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello Hope,

I hope that’s helpful!
Whitney

Remember to imagine and craft the worlds you cannot live without just as you dismantle the ones you cannot live within.” - Ruha Benjamin

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

Tatjana Rebelle

Apr 9, 2024, 11:27:20 AMApr 9
to Hope Gribble, School Garden Support Organization Network

Hello all,

We are currently working on a guide and a workbook that we would love feedback on. If anyone is interested here they are. We would love to know if it's helpful and thoughts.

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.
ALSO check your subject line to be sure that the subject line is about the topic and NOT "digest for...."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "School Garden Support Organization Network" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/school-garden-network/91a99482-cbdc-48cb-b53e-fb62ee4966c9n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Wishing you well,

Tatjana Rebelle (they/them)
Director of Equitable Initiatives
Indianapolis Food Access Advisory Commissioner

Schedule a meeting with me here

Live simply so that others may simply live.
bell hooks

Karen Wagner

Apr 12, 2024, 6:18:59 PMApr 12
to Tatjana Rebelle, Hope Gribble, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi, Tatjana and Hope - you are moving into territory of great interest to many of us in the F2S and Climate Ed world in Oregon.

I wasn't able to open your shared docs (too big, said my computer), but I'm totally curious about what you've created.  Any chance you could link them through a webpage browser?
I know there are many resources out there; I have just a couple more to add to your compendium

Jeanette Hardison (hardi...@gmail.com ) at the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition runs a program called No Food Left Behind, a great community effort to reduce food waste.  NFLB has done some fantastic outreach in schools especially 4&5th grades.  I've attached her email to this email.

  • Climate Ed - Subject to Climate teachers' guide to the topic, K-12:  https://subjecttoclimate.org/
  • Plant-based foods - Oregon State Extension SNAP-Ed program has a good food site, called Food Hero, with many plant-based kid-tested foods that are easily expanded for crowds, which our school nutrition services have been able to utilize
  • Food Waste
  • OR  www.dontletgoodfoodgobad.org

 i hope there's something here of interest. Please stay in touch so we can all learn where this can take us.  Thanks and Happy [Every]  Earth Day!

Karen

--
Karen

"Never does Nature say one thing and Wisdom another." (Juvenal, 75 A.D.)
Re No Food Left Behind.msg

Tatjana Rebelle

May 6, 2024, 2:54:05 PMMay 6
to Hope Gribble, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello everyone,

Several of you had reached out with issues due to the size of the guides and workbooks. Thank you so much for the feedback.

It has helped us to create a more user-friendly way to access the documents. Here is the link to more information. You'll then be provided with both PDF and Canva links for your convenience. Please let me know if there are any more issues and any feedback from using the guides would be MOST helpful.