sherma...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 1:23:09 AM3/13/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello again! Today I'm looking for recommendations for outdoor seating and tables so students can do projects in small groups.

As an example, something like this:

outdoor table.png

Any specs to look for or avoid?

Thanks in advance!

--
Christina Abuelo
Coordinator - (858) 210-2628

Erika Hansen

Mar 13, 2019, 10:55:46 AM3/13/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
With a table top like that students would need clipboards or a hard flat surface to write on since it has the holes - doesn't mean you shouldn't choose this one, but something to consider.

Cheers,
Erika

ERIKA HANSEN (she/her/hers)

Garden Educator | Big Green Memphis 3548 Walker Ave, Suite 102

Memphis, TN 38111

C: 571-217-7608

Real Food Grows Here

www.BigGreen.org

Click here to enter your harvest tracking data!

---

Shital Parikh

Mar 13, 2019, 11:21:31 AM3/13/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
I use long 6 foot table with benches on both sides.  I agree.. No holes on the surface of the table.
Different schools use different tables based on their budget.  We work with over 100 schools in san diego.
Specs to consider:
  1. 6 foot or such long table with two picnic benches on each side.
  2. No holes on the surface of the table.
  3. we try to get 2-3 tables to accomododate 10-30 students at a time.  That's usually the number of kids in the garden at one time depending on the program.
  4. Have a table with an umbrella hole, unless you plan to have something else for shade cover.
  5. We put the tables in U shape, parallel, or L shape so it's easy to address.
  6. Schools buy, metal or wood picnic benches and tables.  Wood ones can be colored by kids.
  7. To protect wood table and benches, colorful plastic table cloth can be stapled.
  8. Ive seen creative table and benchs in the garden where concrete slabs with holes are stacked and wood logs run between them to make a bench.  Wood plank in the middle with plastic stapled and raised on bricks.  Very sturdy, and looks great.  (low budget and teachers find raw material).
  9. Wood benches are made or bought as they are cheaper.  Kids can sand and refinsh them every couple years.
Hope this helps.
Master Gardener, School Garden Consultant
"To plant a garden, is to believe in tomorrow" Audrey Hepburn

Jaymi Drew

Mar 13, 2019, 11:25:39 AM3/13/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
 We are using old pallets for our tables. All we did was sand and paint the pallet, cut it in half used wood families donated for legs or you can buy some at Home Depot. Our tables stand at 2 feet tall 3 feet tall and 4 feet tall. That’s the nice part when you build your own you can do whatever you need. The students love them.
 With the pallets that have to wide of a space we took wood from damaged pallets and cut to fit in the space and used screws to secure them.
 For benches we did the same thing.

Jaymi Drew
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Shital Parikh

Mar 13, 2019, 11:28:20 AM3/13/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
what a great idea!  I have saved some pallets.  I was planning to do a potato box project. Love the table idea.  If you get a chance do post a pict.  Best
Shital Parikh
Master Gardener, School Garden Consultant
"To plant a garden, is to believe in tomorrow" Audrey Hepburn

Pamela Flory

Mar 13, 2019, 7:18:01 PM3/13/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
We have tried many different work tables/stations and by far the best have been the 6' folding white plastic folding tables.  They have a solid work surface, are light weight, easy to move around and configure, easy to clean and easy to store.  We have a permanent classroom space so could have wooden tables but we love the flexibility.  We can configure long, u shaped, square or classroom style, depending on the project and the crowd.  We can also easily move them into the garden for special projects and programming, or wherever we need them.  We do have 18 wooden stools in the classroom that live there permanently, as well as a supply of folding chairs that can be stored and moved around easily.

---

Pam Flory
609 480-8902
Garden Coordinator and Educator
Princeton Day School

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Erika Verrier

Mar 13, 2019, 7:25:19 PM3/13/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
In Maine I have seen schools partner with boy scout troops or tech schools to build garden sheds or picnic tables. I personally love seeing wooden tables as they seem to fit nicely in the natural environment of the garden.

Erika Verrier
Program Director
Maine School Garden Network
Like us on Facebook
“Many things grow in the garden that were never sown there.”

Cindy Barry

Mar 16, 2019, 4:55:30 PM3/16/19
to Shital Parikh, school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Are wood pallets ok to plant in or do they have chemicals that can harm us?  Cindy

Cindy Barry, MA

Senior Program Coordinator

Ledge Light Health District

216 Broad St. New London, CT 06320

www.llhd.org     860-448-4883

Sign up today for our Diabetes Self-Management program - ask me how!

Mar 16, 2019, 7:47:29 PM3/16/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
You can put plants on or in them. I love the pallet table because it’s an easy clean up and you can do amything on them. I’ll try and post pictures later.

Natalie McKinney

Mar 16, 2019, 11:36:47 PM3/16/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com, Shital Parikh
Aloha Cindy,

Please see attached for pallet treatment codes and identifying if a pallet board is safe for reuse.
Pallet-Treatment-Codes.pdf
Pallet Board Safety.pdf
iEG18IWc0FwAZz6CPIoEQi_p1yQAJ_Xpb-MRCszghPiQzE_eGyJsVP8WfWvKDMMSXBNgz47xKJ_qX0re6x00SIUsr7M1FvIwBcS65UoN5HN0mTNLew319ZJS5fFXjs5AWWT2B1k-1.jpeg
ZBBqJrxAofz_v9bSal4H06T5Hu3IJL3mHpBt9BAYkiV3luHf_vEyBZGZ5RGz1wZoboco1wgLJMvb5OruoQWeAz1fhasszyCedS43YTXFbRjyRqcmeGbWghmwdXWW3txJpWQx738.jpeg