Sherman Garden

May 22, 2019, 3:33:01 PM5/22/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello Garden Education Superheroes!

I'm working on creating school garden education programs at several sites in very low income neighborhoods. I'm interested in learning how I can maximize garden production to help out the food insecure families at these schools.

As of now, my main focus has been for our space to be a "learning garden," so students can see the full life cycle of plants, so they can fully participate in the different stages of gardening work. In short, it's disorganized.

To increase school garden yields, someone with expertise will need to put in some time and effort into planning, adjusting and orchestrating crop plantings, maintenance and harvests. Like there would have to be a schedule that is written down and stuff...all of which I find daunting.

For those of you with high production school gardens, how much bandwidth do you put into maintaining your yields?

--
Christina Abuelo
Coordinator - (858) 210-2628