SGM - Discussion group, Feb 23

Addie de Candole

Feb 21, 2023, 2:35:32 PM2/21/23
to School garden google group, tessa.stiven
Good morning folks!

I hope you had a wonderful long weekend! We are looking forward to our next discussion group coming up on Thursday, Feb 23 from 3:30-4:30pm! If you would like to come chat with us about designing school gardens, whether you have questions or lots of experience, would we love to have you join us! Sign up here.

If you missed last week or want to review anything, the recording and slides are on the Program Library page.

Happy Tuesday!

Addie de Candole (she/her)

Food Literacy Advisor, Farm to School BC

a program of the Public Health Association of BC

foodliteracy@farmtoschoolbc.ca

250-571-0202

www.farmtoschoolbc.ca

I acknowledge that I live, work, and grow on the unceded Lək̓ʷəŋən territories.

Please note that I work part-time, and am available on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday mornings (9am-12pm).

Erin Ward

Feb 22, 2023, 3:22:33 PM2/22/23
to foodli...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, School garden google group, tessa.stiven
Is there a link to Megan's document about how to create a garden teacher position that is like a librarian?

Thanks,
Erin

Tessa Stiven

Feb 23, 2023, 12:41:07 AM2/23/23
to Erin Ward, foodli...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, School garden google group, tessa.stiven
Hello Erin and Garden Mentorship folks,

Good question! Here is a link to the blog post Megan wrote about creating a garden prep teacher position: https://meganzeni.com/teaching-prep-outside/. At the end of the blog post there is a great webinar featuring examples from two different schools that have garden prep positions. It seems like a very successful model for allocating more teacher time to outdoor learning and gardening.

In community,

Tessa

Tessa Stiven (she/her)
Central Island Region Community Animator, F2SBC
Public Health Association of BC

I acknowledge that Central Island regional hub programming operates on the territories of the Snuneymuxw, Stz’uminus, Snaw-naw-as, Hupačasath, Tse-shaht, Huu-ay-aht, Ditidaht, Hesquiaht, Ahousaht, Tla-o-qui-aht, Toquaht, Yuu-cluth-aht and Uchucklesaht First Nations. I live on the unceded territory of the people of the Quw'utsun Nation, who have lived here since time immemorial.

I work part-time with the following hours: Mon 9-5 / Wed 9-12 / Thurs 9-12 / Fri 12-4

Feb 23, 2023, 12:54:31 PM2/23/23
to centralis...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, foodli...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, School garden google group, tessa.stiven
I am so happy to find you folks!  this is so helpful, thank you so much
Erin

Vanessa Combden

Feb 25, 2023, 9:04:30 PM2/25/23
to Erin Ward, foodli...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, School garden google group, tessa.stiven
Would the school board pay for a position like this ?

Tessa Stiven

Feb 27, 2023, 5:04:36 PM2/27/23
to Vanessa Combden, School garden google group
Hello Vanessa and School Garden Mentorship folks,

Good question Vanessa. Yes, school districts fund prep teacher positions at schools. These teachers teach specialty subjects to classes, while the classroom teacher has time without their students to prep for their lessons. Common subjects for prep blocks are music, fine arts, technology and physical education; however, prep subjects are not limited to these subjects. Therefore, a school could decide to allocate prep time to outdoor learning. A school has a finite number of hours per week of prep teacher time depending on student population size, etc. School administration can decided how they want to assign prep subjects and teaching appointments to achieve the total overall prep time for their school. Learn more on Megan Zeni's blogpost about creating a garden prep teacher position: https://meganzeni.com/teaching-prep-outside/

Hope that answers your question!

Tessa

Tessa Stiven (she/her)
Central Island Region Community Animator, F2SBC
Public Health Association of BC

I acknowledge that Central Island regional hub programming operates on the territories of the Snuneymuxw, Stz’uminus, Snaw-naw-as, Hupačasath, Tse-shaht, Huu-ay-aht, Ditidaht, Hesquiaht, Ahousaht, Tla-o-qui-aht, Toquaht, Yuu-cluth-aht and Uchucklesaht First Nations. I live on the unceded territory of the people of the Quw'utsun Nation, who have lived here since time immemorial.

I work part-time with the following hours: Mon 9-5 / Wed 9-12 / Thurs 9-12 / Fri 12-4

Mar 6, 2023, 2:03:45 PM3/6/23
to centralis...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, School garden google group, Vanessa Combden
*what

Patti Parkhouse

Mar 6, 2023, 2:27:36 PM3/6/23
to Erin Ward, centralis...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, School garden google group, Vanessa Combden
Buckets work best and are usually free from restaurants/delis. A wheelbarrow is more difficult to load/empty and to maneuver. Also buckets allow more students to participate in moving the material and come in many different sizes.

Patti
Vic West Elementary Children's Garden

Erin Ward

Mar 6, 2023, 4:03:38 PM3/6/23
to Patti Parkhouse, centralis...@farmtoschoolbc.ca, School garden google group, Vanessa Combden
Oh wow, and we even have buckets already, this is soooo helpful thank you  :)

Erin Ward

Apr 17, 2023, 1:30:01 PM4/17/23
to Patti Parkhouse, School garden google group, Vanessa Combden, centralis...@farmtoschoolbc.ca
Hi F2S folks!

I’ve started a gardening business and gotten so busy so I have missed a few discussion groups.
Our school is looking for ways to protect planted trees from deer, but also from kids kind of pulling the trunks or falling into the trunks and disengaging newly planted tree roots and also for live staking red osier dogwoods.
Tree protectors using repurposed materials or donated materials…
Any thoughts on this?
Cheers
Erin