cyber college

mary...@my-deja.com

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Can cyber classes replace traditional classrooms? The convenience of
taking a course on-line sounds tempting, but what will happen to
classroom discussions. How will students ask questions? Will teachers
be obliged to e-mail all their students personally. Anyone have any
experience with this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

butter...@my-deja.com

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99

I'm currently a full-time college student, and while I've never taken a
course on-line, we have utilized the net/email.

In two of the english classes I've taken we have used a mailing list
(send a message to one address, it goes out to the whole class) to
continue discussions outside of the class. I found this to be very
interesting because it gave people a chance to (1) throughly think their
contributions and (2) speak up even if they are a bit shy, or not quite
as aggressive as others in the class. One class required 15 entries for
the semester and the other required 500 words per week. The latter
worked better because it ensured a more even distribution (in the first
situation their was 5 times the email near the end of the semester as
opposed to the beginning) and there were no single-line postings.

In physics we had weekly online reading quizes (about 5 questions) plus
online homework (download, print, solve, submit answers via a html
form). The quiz was nearly useless (except in pulling up grades)
because it was too easy to cheat (everyone takes a turn going first, and
all others get the answers from that one), but the online homework was
very helpful. It was set up so that everyone had different numbers
(even though the problems were the same). So even if you worked in a
group, you still had to do your own calculations.

Of course, in all of these classes we still had traditional classroom
discussion (and recitation in physics).

Hope this helps some!

:Denise

In article <7leis1$nb$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,