We still need a volunteer / sacrificial victim to chair Committee E

John Cowan

Apr 13, 2022, 9:58:39 PM4/13/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Informally, E's role is to standardize environment libs, where "environment" means the places where Scheme touches the outside world.  R7RS-small file I/O is E territory, as is Posix, as are sockets. It helps to know some Scheme and to be reasonably tactful ("thou shalt not be excessively annoying; thou shalt not be too easily annoyed" as the FidoNet rules had it).  Sticking to the job is important too, or at least handing it off publicly rather than just ghosting us.

Nala Ginrut

Apr 13, 2022, 11:05:32 PM4/13/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Hi John!
May I have the honor to take this responsibility?

I have experience on implementing r7rs-small, and I mainly focus on practical use cases of Scheme in the past decade.
I'm the maintainer of GNU Artanis, and I have experiences on POSIX interaction with Scheme. Like file I/O and socket.
I'm trying to establish my business on Scheme, so I will be consistently concentrating on Scheme and RnRS.

However, I don't think I'm the best candidate of a chair, since I don't have such an experience and I'm not a native English speaker.

Anyway, I would like to cooperate with folks who are interested on E.

Best regards.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022, 09:58 John Cowan <co...@ccil.org> wrote:
Informally, E's role is to standardize environment libs, where "environment" means the places where Scheme touches the outside world.  R7RS-small file I/O is E territory, as is Posix, as are sockets. It helps to know some Scheme and to be reasonably tactful ("thou shalt not be excessively annoying; thou shalt not be too easily annoyed" as the FidoNet rules had it).  Sticking to the job is important too, or at least handing it off publicly rather than just ghosting us.

John Cowan

Apr 13, 2022, 11:13:15 PM4/13/22
On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 11:05 PM Nala Ginrut <nalag...@gmail.com> wrote:

However, I don't think I'm the best candidate of a chair, since I don't have such an experience and I'm not a native English speaker.

You don't have to be the editor of the Committee E report: that can be delegated, so I don't think that's an issue.

Anyway, I would like to cooperate with folks who are interested on E.

Great!