Progress is being made!

Vincent Manis

Mar 17, 2022, 8:24:17 PM3/17/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
A few days ago, I posted emails with titles such as “I'm still worried”.
I'm delighted to see how much things have advanced since then.

Can I ask that someone create a web page with a consolidated list of
such things as the mailing lists for each committee, the charters for
each, a pointer to the (yet-to-be-created?) issues manager, and the
like? That would not only serve as a handy reference, but would also be
a great place to point newcomers (if there are any) to. Since almost all
of this has been discussed in recent emails, creating the web page would
be mostly a matter of cut-and-paste.

One thing that we haven't discussed explicitly is the intended final
product of the committee. I do think that it's important to establish
that now, and include it in the webpage. My proposal: “The final product
of the four committees will be a report in two volumes, the first
entitled ‘R7RS-Large, Volume 1: Foundation Language and Libraries’ and
the second, ‘R7RS-Large, Volume 2: External Libraries’. The content,
organization, and format of these reports are TBD. Volume 1 will be
prepared by Subcommittee F, with some content from Subcommittee E;
Volume 2 by Subcommittee B (, with some content from Subcommittee E?).
Both volumes will be prepared with collaboration from Subcommittee C.” I
think that this can be substantially improved, but it might serve as a
stalking horse. Since I'm not completely clear on Subcommittee E, maybe
the intention is that it would prepare Volume 3 instead of submitting
content to the other two volumes?

-- vincent

Arthur A. Gleckler

Mar 17, 2022, 9:52:34 PM3/17/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
If someone else prepares the first draft of the page, I would be happy to host the page and keep it up to date.

John would, would you be willing to ask the Steering Committee for large.r7rs.org?

Lassi Kortela

Mar 18, 2022, 2:52:55 AM3/18/22

On 18.03.2022 3.52, Arthur A. Gleckler wrote:

If someone else prepares the first draft of the page, I would be happy to host the page and keep it up to date.

John would, would you be willing to ask the Steering Committee for large.r7rs.org?

If you want to add anything under scheme.org, we can do the necessary things. It's easy to add DNS entries and there's also space for more stuff on the current web server.

r7rs.scheme.org currently redirects to r7rs.org

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Mar 18, 2022, 4:53:48 AM3/18/22
Am Fr., 18. März 2022 um 01:24 Uhr schrieb Vincent Manis <vman...@gmail.com>:

> A few days ago, I posted emails with titles such as “I'm still worried”.
> I'm delighted to see how much things have advanced since then.

I'm glad to see all this new enthusiasm!

> Can I ask that someone create a web page with a consolidated list of
> such things as the mailing lists for each committee, the charters for
> each, a pointer to the (yet-to-be-created?) issues manager, and the
> like? That would not only serve as a handy reference, but would also be
> a great place to point newcomers (if there are any) to. Since almost all
> of this has been discussed in recent emails, creating the web page would
> be mostly a matter of cut-and-paste.

That would be great! If this page could be served from a git repo (our
centralized one), it would be even better because its history would be
preserved as well.

> One thing that we haven't discussed explicitly is the intended final
> product of the committee. I do think that it's important to establish
> that now, and include it in the webpage. My proposal: “The final product
> of the four committees will be a report in two volumes, the first
> entitled ‘R7RS-Large, Volume 1: Foundation Language and Libraries’ and
> the second, ‘R7RS-Large, Volume 2: External Libraries’. The content,
> organization, and format of these reports are TBD. Volume 1 will be
> prepared by Subcommittee F, with some content from Subcommittee E;
> Volume 2 by Subcommittee B (, with some content from Subcommittee E?).
> Both volumes will be prepared with collaboration from Subcommittee C.” I
> think that this can be substantially improved, but it might serve as a
> stalking horse. Since I'm not completely clear on Subcommittee E, maybe
> the intention is that it would prepare Volume 3 instead of submitting
> content to the other two volumes?

One complaint about R6RS was that the language described in its first
volume was not self-contained but that the second volume (Standard
Libraries) added extra semantic constraints to the language presented
in the first volume.

I would like to prevent this situation for R7RS so I think it is
important for the Foundations (Volume 1 in your list) to be
self-contained. Thus, it is probably easier and better if the E stuff
is not spread over the different volumes but in its own volume. Volume
2 (the batteries) should be independent of the procedures targeting
the environment, so an extra Volume 3 makes sense to me. The
environment APIs are those that are highly system dependent and will
be those that will likely have to be revised first (because systems
change), so organizing them in their own volume sounds like a good
idea.

Daphne Preston-Kendal

Mar 18, 2022, 5:18:16 AM3/18/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
> On 18 Mar 2022, at 09:53, Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen <marc....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can I ask that someone create a web page with a consolidated list of
>> such things as the mailing lists for each committee, the charters for
>> each, a pointer to the (yet-to-be-created?) issues manager, and the
>> like? That would not only serve as a handy reference, but would also be
>> a great place to point newcomers (if there are any) to. Since almost all
>> of this has been discussed in recent emails, creating the web page would
>> be mostly a matter of cut-and-paste.
>
> That would be great! If this page could be served from a git repo (our
> centralized one), it would be even better because its history would be
> preserved as well.

I am working on it.

Daphne

Arthur A. Gleckler

Mar 18, 2022, 1:23:35 PM3/18/22
On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 11:52 PM Lassi Kortela <la...@lassi.io> wrote:

If you want to add anything under scheme.org, we can do the necessary things. It's easy to add DNS entries and there's also space for more stuff on the current web server.

Yes, that's a good idea.  I want large.r7rs.org for symmetry with small.r7rs.org, but it's fine if it redirects to somewhere under scheme.org — or the other way around.

Will Noble

Jun 23, 2022, 6:43:03 PM6/23/22
to scheme-reports-wg2
>> That would not only serve as a handy reference, but would also be
>> a great place to point newcomers (if there are any) to.

Surprise! I am a newcomer. Sorry to spam the whole list but it seems I don't have permission to see (or reply to) individual email addresses in this group.

I am working on it.
Daphne

Is this up yet? The repo is a bit crowded and I didn't see anything resembling a committee directory on the website.
Looking forward to getting more involved in this sisyphean project.

Will

Arthur A. Gleckler

Jul 4, 2022, 2:14:24 PM7/4/22
to Will Noble, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 3:43 PM Will Noble <m...@will.party> wrote:

Surprise! I am a newcomer. Sorry to spam the whole list but it seems I don't have permission to see (or reply to) individual email addresses in this group.

You can sign up for the mailing list here.

I am working on it.
Daphne

Is this up yet? The repo is a bit crowded and I didn't see anything resembling a committee directory on the website.

There isn't an official committee directory.  John Cowan is the chair, and everyone is free to join the discussion and vote.

Looking forward to getting more involved in this sisyphean project.

Welcome!  It's a big rock, but we're moving it up the hill.