Syntax of rename export spec in R7RS

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Aug 30, 2021, 7:49:41 AM8/30/21
to Arthur A. Gleckler, Alex Shinn, John Cowan, Lassi Kortela, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure whether this has been asked before:

What was the reason to make rename export spec for libraries (R7RS, 5.6.1) syntactically quite different from the rename import set for imports (R7RS, 5.2)?

Is there any deeper reason behind this decision or was this an accident or an oversight?

This also seems to introduce a gratuitous incompatibility with R6RS (meaning that expanding define-library forms into library forms forces rewriting rename export specs).

-- Marc

Alex Shinn

Aug 30, 2021, 8:31:54 AM8/30/21
to Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen, Arthur A. Gleckler, John Cowan, Lassi Kortela, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 8:49 PM Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen
<marc....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether this has been asked before:
>
> What was the reason to make rename export spec for libraries (R7RS, 5.6.1) syntactically quite different from the rename import set for imports (R7RS, 5.2)?

It's syntactically different either way. I don't recall the exact
reasoning at the time. I got basically zero feedback on the module
system.

--
Alex