R7RS-large: Unicode library?

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Feb 23, 2019, 11:37:31 AM2/23/19
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Have there been any plans for a basic Unicode library being part of R7RS-large?

What I am thinking of is a library comprising functions as provided by
<uniname.h>, <unictype.h>, <uniwidth.h>, <uniwbrk.h>, <unilbrk.h>,
<uninorm.h>, and <unicase.h> of GNU libunistring ([1]).

The advantage of having such a library would be that the Unicode
standard would have to be tracked mostly just in one place.

Other libraries (like (srfi 159 unicode) when calculating the terminal
width of a Unicode string) would just call the Unicode library without
having to deal with the encoding details and the tables of code
points.

Marc

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/manual/libunistring.html

John Cowan

Feb 23, 2019, 3:20:25 PM2/23/19
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
I was planning something more elemental that just exposes the Unicode properties (binary, string, number, and enumeration).  I haven't written it down yet, though.  I will look at the headers you mention.