R7RS central repository, issue tracker, and wiki

Daphne Preston-Kendal

Mar 20, 2022, 1:58:23 PM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

The central issue tracker (with associated wiki and repository) for subcommittees F, B, E, and C is open! <https://codeberg.org/scheme/r7rs/issues>

After investigating the possibilities for different sites to host this on, I settled on Codeberg for three reasons:

1. It is entirely run on free software, continuing the Scheme language’s long engagement with the free software community and satisfying committee members who do not want to use proprietary software

1a. Notwithstanding that it’s free software, the Gitea interface is more-or-less a total copy of GitHub, which most of us are probably familiar with, unlike some alternatives like GitLab or Sourcehut.

2. It is run by a non-profit organization, not an individual committee member, so we have less worries about the person who runs it disappearing. More specifically, the organization that runs Codeberg is a German „eingetragener Verein“ (e. V.), a corporate structure which is fairly unique worldwide. The constitution of this association gives members of the Scheme working group the opportunity to become members to support the organization financially and politically, and this constitution and the German civil code give us rights and protections in the event the site does shut down. (As far as I know, you don’t have to live in Germany to become a member.)

Notwithstanding point 2, we will be looking at making regular data exports of the issue tracker and wiki etc. for extra safety.

Happy hacking,

Daphne

Taylan Kammer

Mar 20, 2022, 3:16:55 PM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, Daphne Preston-Kendal
On 20.03.2022 18:58, Daphne Preston-Kendal wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The central issue tracker (with associated wiki and repository) for subcommittees F, B, E, and C is open! <https://codeberg.org/scheme/r7rs/issues>

Awesome! I was going to ask if something like this is planned, because the
volume of recent activity was impossible to keep up with. :-)

All this stuff happening lately is really exciting.

--
Taylan