Draft Charter for Committee P

Vincent Manis

Mar 23, 2022, 8:34:33 PM3/23/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com

This is a draft of the charter for Committee P (Publications). Your comments and your willingness to join the committee would both be appreciated. -- vincent

 --------------------------

The task of WG2 Committee P is to produce the final report of the Working Group, as well as any other publications that the Group may specify. The final report, to be entitled Revised7 Report on The Algorithmic Language Scheme: Large Edition, will be produced in two or perhaps three volumes.

  • Volume 1: Foundation Language and Libraries will contain the text of R7RS-Small, with the changes and additions specified by Committee F.
  • Volume 2: Extended Libraries will contain the specifications of the libraries and facilities defined by Committee B.
  • Volume 3: Environmental Interfaces will contain the specifications of libraries and facilities defined by Committee E. This volume might or might not be produced, depending upon E's recommendations.

This Report will be produced as a HyperSpec, and in a linear (reader-oriented) form in several formats, including at least PDF and EPub.

Membership in the committee is open to any member of WG2.

Proposed workflow: one of the other committees will produce some text, and will presumably work with C to do a first pass for clarity and consistency, and perhaps the proposed O committee to establish suitable performance guarantees. That text will then be passed to this committee, which will be responsible for incorporating it into the appropriate volume. A Git repository, presumably on codeberg.org, will receive the appropriate pull requests, though an email channel might also be established if there are members reluctant to use Git. This committee will take responsibility for doing the appropriate merging. C will no doubt be examining the resulting drafts carefully.

This committee will also be responsible for establishing the toolchain that produces the Report, so that a WG2 member on Linux/BSD, macOS, or Windows need only install the necessary software and issue the appropriate shell/batch command to produce the current draft.

It should be noted that the post(s) of Editor(s) of the Report are not filled at present; presumably that matter will be resolved later. The Editor(s) will be de facto member(s) of this Committee.

In keeping with the other committees, there may be ballots from time to time. These will be given names taken  from the list of Harlequin Romance novel titles. The first few will be Forbidden Island, Ship's Surgeon, and Night Superintendent. It is hoped that we don't get to The Ordeal of Nurse Thompson!

--------------------------

Amirouche Boubekki

Mar 24, 2022, 4:54:42 AM3/24/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Hello Vincent,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 1:34 AM Vincent Manis <vman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a draft of the charter for Committee P (Publications). Your comments and your willingness to join the committee would both be appreciated. -- vincent
>
> --------------------------
>
> The task of WG2 Committee P is to produce the final report of the Working Group, as well as any other publications that the Group may specify. The final report, to be entitled Revised7 Report on The Algorithmic Language Scheme: Large Edition, will be produced in two or perhaps three volumes.
>
> Volume 1: Foundation Language and Libraries will contain the text of R7RS-Small, with the changes and additions specified by Committee F.
> Volume 2: Extended Libraries will contain the specifications of the libraries and facilities defined by Committee B.
> Volume 3: Environmental Interfaces will contain the specifications of libraries and facilities defined by Committee E. This volume might or might not be produced, depending upon E's recommendations.
>
> This Report will be produced as a HyperSpec, and in a linear (reader-oriented) form in several formats, including at least PDF and EPub.

It will be best to define what a HyperSpec is. It is not obvious to me
what the HyperSpec is based on the Wikipedia article [0] or the
HyperSpec itself [1].

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp_HyperSpec
[1] http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/

I, for one, very much like the work by Arvydas Silanskas at
https://r7rsindex.com/search?query=generator What do you think about
including that in the charter?

> Membership in the committee is open to any member of WG2.
>
> Proposed workflow: one of the other committees will produce some text, and will presumably work with C to do a first pass for clarity and consistency, and perhaps the proposed O committee to establish suitable performance guarantees. That text will then be passed to this committee, which will be responsible for incorporating it into the appropriate volume. A Git repository, presumably on codeberg.org, will receive the appropriate pull requests, though an email channel might also be established if there are members reluctant to use Git. This committee will take responsibility for doing the appropriate merging. C will no doubt be examining the resulting drafts carefully.
>
> This committee will also be responsible for establishing the toolchain that produces the Report, so that a WG2 member on Linux/BSD, macOS, or Windows need only install the necessary software and issue the appropriate shell/batch command to produce the current draft.
>
> It should be noted that the post(s) of Editor(s) of the Report are not filled at present; presumably that matter will be resolved later. The Editor(s) will be de facto member(s) of this Committee.
>
> In keeping with the other committees, there may be ballots from time to time. These will be given names taken from the list of Harlequin Romance novel titles. The first few will be Forbidden Island, Ship's Surgeon, and Night Superintendent. It is hoped that we don't get to The Ordeal of Nurse Thompson!

I will be very glad to be part of Committee P.

Vincent Manis

Mar 24, 2022, 1:14:24 PM3/24/22
to Amirouche Boubekki, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com

On 2022-03-24 01:54, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:

It will be best to define what a HyperSpec is. It is not obvious to me
what the HyperSpec is based on the Wikipedia article [0] or the
HyperSpec itself [1].

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp_HyperSpec
[1] http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/

I, for one, very much like the work by Arvydas Silanskas at
https://r7rsindex.com/search?query=generator What do you think about
including that in the charter?

I think that the committee should decide what the HyperSpec is to be. I don't have any firm opinions on it myself, other than that it should contain the same text as the linear reports.

I will be very glad to be part of Committee P.

Welcome aboard, Amirouche!

-- vincent