Erratum 30

John Cowan

Nov 24, 2020, 11:13:31 PM11/24/20
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
As written, the list of valid characters in identifiers suggests that all the characters in the Lu , Ll, ... Co characters are allowed.  However, this is only true of characters outside the ASCII repertoire, as R6RS specifies explicitly.  Thus although ';' is a Po character, and Po is one of the allowed categories, that does not mean that ';' is allowed in identifiers.

Note that none of these errata have official status, but almost all of them have been implemented by almost all R7RS implementations.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        co...@ccil.org
If a traveler were informed that such a man [as Lord John Russell] was
leader of the House of Commons, he may well begin to comprehend how the
Egyptians worshiped an insect.  --Benjamin Disraeli

Alex Shinn

Nov 24, 2020, 11:34:18 PM11/24/20
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Are we just skipping the entire process of asking for any kind of approval or confirmation of errata?

John Cowan

Nov 24, 2020, 11:49:55 PM11/24/20
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
I'm perfectly willing to revert this if there are objections, but it's pretty obvious.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "scheme-reports-wg1" group.

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Nov 25, 2020, 1:51:00 AM11/25/20
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, John Cowan

Am Mi., 25. Nov. 2020 um 07:46 Uhr schrieb Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide <arne...@web.de>:

John Cowan <co...@ccil.org> writes:

> As written, the list of valid characters in identifiers suggests that all
> the characters in the Lu , Ll, ... Co characters are allowed.  However,
> this is only true of characters outside the ASCII repertoire, as R6RS
> specifies explicitly.  Thus although ';' is a Po character, and Po is one
> of the allowed categories, that does not mean that ';' is allowed in
> identifiers.

Does this mean that this wouldn’t be legal code?

(define |foo;| 'foo)
(write |foo;|)

This would be legal. What's illegal is the appearance of characters like ";" in the *lexical syntax* of identifiers that are not enclosed in |...|.

Alex Shinn

Nov 25, 2020, 2:41:19 AM11/25/20
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
There are good reasons to maintain due process.

If nothing else, it provides an editing cycle, which in this case would have caught your typo (s/Notes/Note).

But the erratum is also missing context that your full email provides, making it hard to understand.
Proposed revision:

  30. In section 7.1.1 (Lexical Syntax), note that the categories Lu, Ll, ..., Co
  that may be permitted in identifiers apply only to non-ASCII characters;
  the valid ASCII characters are given explicitly.

It may also be worth linking each errata to its commit, though that's a lot of work to go through for errata 1-29.

--
Alex