Is this game Active?

Gallifrey

Feb 21, 2014, 12:47:33 PM2/21/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I just discovered the Schemaverse yesterday and immediately found the concept amazing - I've been looking for a fun way to practice my python scripting, learn about database languages (such as SQL) and I've always loved strategy games, so when I realized that Schemaverse was a beautiful way to merge all three of these things, I was instantly hooked.

Accordingly, I devoured the entire tutorial last night and started to write SQL queries.  As a newcomer to SQL, this is a fantastic way to learn, and the game tutorial is very well written and informative about gameplay.

However, I've noticed some issues about the game - the tic seems to be stuck on 156, and has not advanced since i began playing yesterday.  The sever seems very slow to respond in general.  Is this game currently active at all?  I'm worried that I haven't found much commentary or recent info about it, so I wanted to make sure this is still an ongoing project.

I very much hope it is.

Abstrct

Feb 21, 2014, 6:57:55 PM2/21/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com
Hello and Welcome!

I am happy to report that we are, in fact, an active community :) Development doesn't necessarily move quick, but it is ongoing. People are playing daily though and we also host tournaments at conferences around north america throughout the year.

The server was acting a bit weird due to a couple reasons, most of those being my fault. Thanks for pointing it out! Should be fixed now, tic time is down to about 3 minutes per tic.

Hopefully the server won't be too slow for you now. Due to the nature of the game, sometimes some slow queries are just inevitable but most basic quires should respond within a couple seconds.

If you happen to frequent IRC, we do have a channel on freenode, #schemaverse, which has around 15 people on it these days. We are happy to help with any questions you have about the Schemaverse and SQL in general.

Enjoy the game. If you just started and already feel hooked, you are about to learn a LOT about SQL and Postgres and have a great time doing it.

-Abstrct

Gallifrey

Feb 27, 2014, 10:57:40 AM2/27/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com