Ship Speed and Planet Distance and Tick time

p@

May 28, 2014, 1:58:47 PM5/28/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com
Using the distance formula to figure out how far away planets are is easy enough, but even the closest planets are usually 8 digits away. And ship speed, even upgraded, is a couple orders of magnitude less than that. And there is usually less than 100 ticks in a round, it seems.

Add that all up and how the heck does anyone ever get to another planet?

Lets use a specific example from the round I'm playing now. The closest planet is ~28,000,000 grid units away. My ship goes 10,000 grid units a tick. Should be 2,800 ticks to get there. At 15 minutes a tick, that's damn near a month to get to the closet planet. Even if I upgraded it to max allowed speed, (which I don't think is possible with just one planet to mine), its still 35 ticks - which is half the game. To get to the closest planet.

What am I not understanding? Is there some kind of warp feature? Is my distance calculation wrong? Is ship speed different than I think?

Abstrct

May 28, 2014, 4:20:52 PM5/28/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Sounds like you are doing things pretty correctly overall. New maps are generated everyday at random so it may just be that your starting spot was a bit weird (although at least it was easy to protect!). Admittedly, we has also been tweaking map sizes lately to let people try out different strategies, it is possible that we got a bit to excited with the 'big map'. Tics also tend to vary a bit, with the larger map, there is suppose to be more tics that occur overall since there is less quick action however the server seems to be running a bit slow. I will run some maintenance and see if that speeds things up for this round.

Since you mentioned upgrading the max_speed already, you may also want to look at upgrading range. It may help you get that extra needed reach.

As a lost resort, you can also create a new account to have a new random placement which will hopefully be a bit closer to the action.

Thanks for the feedback though, I will take a look at map generation and shrink things back down to size. Tomorrow will be an all new battle.

-Abstrct

p@

May 28, 2014, 4:21:04 PM5/28/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com
I was looking at some of the killer visualizations on www.kwksilver.com, and it looks like ships are flying everywhere. Did something change to makes the map way bigger, or is using the "Ship_Cuise_Control" just not the right way to move around?

Tigereye

May 28, 2014, 4:24:14 PM5/28/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com
That’s right.

Schemaverse just started to play with “big maps”; in the past the maps were much smaller. I think there were even “small map” games to get a look at how gameplay worked in close quarters.

As Abstract mentioned in last email - tomorrow’s a whole new game with a whole new map.
I definitely agree that if you end up starting MONTHS-worth of distance away from any possible action, the game can’t be fun. I guess that’s what we’ve learned from big maps :)

—TE

On May 28, 2014, at 4:21 PM, p@ <absol...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was looking at some of the killer visualizations on www.kwksilver.com, and it looks like ships are flying everywhere. Did something change to makes the map way bigger, or is using the "Ship_Cuise_Control" just not the right way to move around?

p@

May 28, 2014, 4:44:25 PM5/28/14
to schem...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys. I really didn't know if I just wasn't understanding some aspect of gameplay. Now its time to start working on some fleet scripts, methinks. More questions likely to follow.