Problem with the way schema descriptions are generated on schema.org

Lawrence Woodman

Sep 21, 2011, 5:02:23 AM9/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

From my latest scrape of schema.org, I noticed that
schema.org/CreativeWork now has a 'creator' property to say who the
userComment was from.
This doesn't make any sense as presumably there can be more than one
comment and this is better described through the 'creator' property of
schema.org/UserComments used by the 'comment' property.

I am therefore assuming that the 'creator' property description was
meant to be along the lines of 'The creator of the CreativeWork'.
Therefore does this illustrate a problem with the way that the
properties are described? It seems that across the site, each property
can only have one description, which seems like a major failing.

This problem seems to also affect schema.org/MusicGroup which has a
'musicGroupMember' property, despite its having a perfectly good
'member' property inherited from schema.org/organization. I'm assuming
that this was done to give an accurate description relevant to a music
group, rather than the more general description for 'member'.

What do others think. Should each property have a universal description
suitable for use in whatever vocabulary it finds itself in, or should
the descriptions be suited to each vocabulary?

Lawrence

--
vLife Systems Ltd
Registered Office: The Meridian, 4 Copthall House, Station Square, Coventry, CV1 2FL