Are Google / Bing / Yahoo consuming and using schema.org data?

Robert Kost

Aug 15, 2011, 12:47:14 PM8/15/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I'm hoping the participants from Bing, Google and Yahoo might be able to answer this question unequivocally.

A conversation last week with an SEO manager at a large publisher, the manager declared that none of the search engines were actually using schema.org markup yet, and that they would probably not commence doing so until the end of 2011 or after.

What say you, Googlers, Bingers, Yahoos ... ?  There have been several questions here about, e.g., the appearance of recipes using schema.org and the time delay involved in some of the markup, but there have been no comments squarely on this matter.

Obviously, the answer is of some significance.  There is a groundswell of interest in the business community, but the announcement of schema.org was curiously subdued.  Is this because it's not truly 'live' yet?

thanks

Rob

László Török

Aug 16, 2011, 4:02:07 AM8/16/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

I think this question has popped up over and over again on this mailing list, but no official statement has been released to date. Only nebulous reference to possible future adoption at best...

Las

2011/8/15 Robert Kost <kos...@gmail.com>

--
László Török

Skype: laczoka2000
Twitter: @laczoka

Robert Kost

Aug 16, 2011, 7:19:18 AM8/16/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry if I've been redundant raising the question.  I did try to search first, but didn't find anything.

Surely, it's a simple question with a simple answer -- and a question that is prior all others raised on this board.

In the absence of an answer, is there any empirical evidence?

Otherwise, what are we getting all worked up about?!

rjk

Pravir Gupta

Aug 30, 2011, 4:16:56 PM8/30/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
The schema.org markup is being consumed.

Here are some examples -
1.  MusicGroup -
     Testing tool.
     Google

2. Event -
  a)  testing tool
       Google
  b)  ticketmaster - Google. They use ajax crawling (http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/)

Thanks
-Pravir

Praveen Jayaraman

Aug 31, 2011, 6:31:21 PM8/31/11
to Schema.org Discussion
Hello -

I have a few questions on these examples.

In example 1, the site uses markup from both schema.org and
microformat hcard.
Is this recommended, which markup would take preference in such cases?

In example 2, the snippet seems to be coming from the page title and
the page meta description. Why is the markup ignored in this example?
Would you advise to remove the meta description tag if the content is
being marked up.

Are there any examples showing rich snippets for sites containing only
schema.org markup without microformat or data-vocabular.

Thanks
Praveen.

On Aug 30, 1:16 pm, Pravir Gupta <pra...@google.com> wrote:
> The schema.org markup is being consumed.
>
> Here are some examples -
> 1.  MusicGroup -
>      Testing tool<http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=www.myspace.c...>
> .
>      Google<http://www.google.com/search?q=lady+gaga+official+profile+including+t...>
>
> 2. Event -
>   a)  testing tool<http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=www.reverbnat...>
>        Google<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=www.reverbnation.com%2Fshow%2F51...>
>   b)  ticketmaster -
> Google<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kanya+west+ticketmaster>.

Robert Kost

Aug 31, 2011, 7:39:22 PM8/31/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the reality check, Pravir.

some discouraging rumors viz. schema.org were floating through Manhattan a while back. We're trying to build a virtuous circle and some definitive communication from G, B and Y might be in order.

much appreciated.

rob

Alexander Shubin

Sep 1, 2011, 5:10:31 AM9/1/11
to Schema.org Discussion
Hello Praveen,

It seems that at first example only schema.org markup is used.
Actually it is written at testing tool results page.

The second is about rich snippets for events (http://www.google.com/
support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?
hl=en&answer=164506&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=1mb899c2co609&cbrank=4).

On Sep 1, 2:31 am, Praveen Jayaraman <praveenjayara...@yahoo.com>

Praveen Jayaraman

Sep 6, 2011, 5:03:48 PM9/6/11
to Schema.org Discussion
Hello -

We have marked up ebay pages with schema.org/Product (example -
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Canon-EOS-7D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-only-/100141160)

The same shows up on google serp (http://www.google.com/search?q=Canon
+EOS+7D+18.0+MP) with just the meta description of the page.

Can somebody please give us a pointer on why the page markup
(containing image, offer, aggregate rating, reviews) is not used for
the snippet generation.

The rich snippet tool does not report any errors for the markup -
http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fctg%2FCanon-EOS-7D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-only-%2F100141160&view=

Thanks
Praveen.

László Török

Sep 7, 2011, 4:53:31 AM9/7/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Praveen,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the search engine companies never promised you how quickly (if at all) they will use your extra markup to generate the rich snippets. There are rumours that the rich snippet generation has to be authorized manually (at least for now) to avoid spamming.

I wouldn't ask G/M/Y to deny or confirm this, as they won't. (no surprise)

I think if the testing tool says you markup is fine, then you should probably wait patiently, we are at their mercy. :)

Las

pravir

Sep 13, 2011, 7:56:22 PM9/13/11
to Schema.org Discussion
Praveen,
The ebay page should be showing a preview now -

On Sep 7, 1:53 am, László Török <ltoro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Praveen,
>
> I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the search engine companies never promised
> you how quickly (if at all) they will use your extra markup to generate the
> rich snippets. There are rumours that the rich snippet generation has to be
> authorized manually (at least for now) to avoid spamming.
>
> I wouldn't ask G/M/Y to deny or confirm this, as they won't. (no surprise)
>
> I think if the testing tool says you markup is fine, then you should
> probably wait patiently, we are at their mercy. :)
>
> Las
>
> 2011/9/6 Praveen Jayaraman <praveenjayara...@yahoo.com>
>

> > Hello -
>
> > We have marked up ebay pages with schema.org/Product (example -
>
> >http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Canon-EOS-7D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black...
> > )
>
> > The same shows up on google serp (http://www.google.com/search?q=Canon
> > +EOS+7D+18.0+MP) with just the meta description of the page.
>
> > Can somebody please give us a pointer on why the page markup
> > (containing image, offer, aggregate rating, reviews) is not used for
> > the snippet generation.
>
> > The rich snippet tool does not report any errors for the markup -
>
> >http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=http%3A%2F%2F...

jaysonlorenzen

Sep 15, 2011, 2:04:23 PM9/15/11
to Schema.org Discussion
It would be nice if the testing tool actually validated the Schema.org
metadata though. It seems to only really test for valid Microdata and
not about Schema.org compliance at all.

For instance an itemprop of "myimageprop" is located by the Rich Snip
Test tool and the reference correct:

myimageprop = Item( 3 )

Item 3
Type: http://schema.org/imageobject

but that should fail as the prop is not going to be something that
Google would know about. I understand that they are allowing extension
but if the tool is to help us prepare for the future where Google
might parse and use our metadata, when we put it in their specified
format, it would be helpful if it showed us that this was indeed not
in their format or that this particular property would be unknown to
them.

Eagerly awaiting some Schema.org validation tools or services.