StartService FAILED 1053

Dan Power

Apr 4, 2023, 7:48:34 PM4/4/23
to schedulix
Dieter,

Thank you for you help in https://groups.google.com/g/schedulix/c/Prd6inghgQs. Now when I use RUN_JOBSERVER.BAT manually I can get connected to the server and it shows active in schedulix. However, I am trying to go the next step and I immediately get the error:
[SC] StartService FAILED 1053:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I think everything should be good. Here are the command and the results. Note again, manually running the jobserver seems to work fine. I am not sure what I am missing here. Any thoughts?

PS C:\Schedulix\schedulix-2.7\bin> .\JSCTL.BAT remove SchedulixJobServer
[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS
PS C:\Schedulix\schedulix-2.7\bin> .\JSCTL.BAT install SchedulixJobServer C:\Schedulix\schedulix-2.7\etc\jobserver_prowess.conf
[SC] CreateService SUCCESS
PS C:\Schedulix\schedulix-2.7\bin> .\JSCTL.BAT start SchedulixJobServer
[SC] StartService FAILED 1053:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

PS C:\Schedulix\schedulix-2.7\bin> .\RUN_JOBSERVER.BAT C:\Schedulix\schedulix-2.7\etc\jobserver_prowess.conf

Dieter Stubler

Apr 5, 2023, 6:36:09 AM4/5/23
to schedulix
Hello,

How is the service configured ?
Maybe there is some problem with permissions of the service started,
Is there a jobserver logfile created  when trying to start the service ?
When you start it maually, does is process any jobs ?
Regards
Dieter

Dan Power

Apr 5, 2023, 11:15:37 AM4/5/23
to schedulix
How is the service configured? Where do you mean? On windows job server? On the schedulix server itself? What are you looking for?
Is there a jobserver logfile created ...? No, none of the log files have been modified lately. In fact, I think all the log files came from the original *ix install used to seed the windows install.
When you start it manually, does it process any jobs? All jobs have failed so far saying:  Couldn't execute command (2 / The system cannot find the file specified.). Right now, I am testing with a simple dir command.

Dieter Stubler

Apr 5, 2023, 11:20:53 AM4/5/23
to schedulix
Hi,

What I am looking for is the setup of the the Windows Service after:

.\JSCTL.BAT install SchedulixJobServer C:\Schedulix\schedulix-2.7\etc\jobserver_prowess.conf

Get the commandline issued from Service (shoud be a java call with some parameters) and try to execute this on the commandline.
This might give a hind whats going wrong.

Regards
Dieter

Dan Power

Apr 5, 2023, 11:22:43 AM4/5/23
to schedulix
If you are talking about these settings, here they are:
JobserverConfig.png

Dieter Stubler

Apr 5, 2023, 11:26:01 AM4/5/23
to schedulix
Hi,
you are taking me wrong.
What I mean is the Windows Services Definition like this one:
service.png

Dan Power

Apr 5, 2023, 12:42:44 PM4/5/23
to schedulix
" Get the commandline issued from Service (shoud be a java call with some parameters) and try to execute this on the commandline.
This might give a hind whats going wrong."

I am not sure what you are asking my to do. You mean the sc command that JSCTL.BAT issues?

Dieter Stubler

Apr 5, 2023, 1:26:12 PM4/5/23
to schedulix
Hi Dan,

When the Windows Service is installed due to JSCTL.BAT it puts the plain java call in the command line to execute for that service.
Open services from the Windows Start Menu find your service named  SchedulixJobServer and double click it to open the service details.
Here it also tells the executable (should be java) including the command line parameters.
Copy that command including the parameters and try to execute manually in Windows cmd.exe
Please send the command line and the output of that command executed from cmd.exe
So we can find out whether the problem is located in the installation of that service or the jobserver itself.
BTW. Which Windows Version do you use ?
Did you already thought about upgrading your schedulix installation to schedulix 2.10 ?
2.7 is already quite a bit outdated.

Regards
Dieter

Dan Power

Apr 5, 2023, 8:29:14 PM4/5/23
to schedulix
Dieter,

Thank you very much. With that information I was able to find two things. One is important to you.

The JAVA_CONF_TEMPLATE.bat file for this line seems to have a wayward "w" in it on this line:
SET BICSUITEJAVA_JS_SERVICE=%BICSUITEJAVA%w

I double checked going back to the source, so I am pretty sure I did not add it. Second, the log direction in the *ix version and the one expected for the windows version were at different levels. Making that log directory was all I needed to do after fixing the w. So finally the service is running and looks like it will automatically start. So I am good on that part.

My test just that just runs the dir command still is getting this error:

Couldn't execute command (2 / The system cannot find the file specified.)
So, I guess for this conversation, the original problem is fixed and now I have a new problem. I can open a new thread if you want.

Dieter Stubler

Apr 6, 2023, 11:45:03 AM4/6/23
to schedulix
Hello Dan,
good to hear that everything is running now.
The w was not wayward but put there by intend because there is a javaw which is best used for services.
I think the log directory was the point.

Your new problem is easy to solve because schedulix is executing the run program by parsing it to get argv0, argv1,argv2,...
So DIR is not an executable . There is no DIR.EXE. You can use somesthing like 'cmd /c dir' which will work.

Regards
Dieter

Dan Power

Apr 6, 2023, 12:51:37 PM4/6/23
to schedulix
I tired with and without the 's and neither worked.
Jobfail.png

Dan Power

Apr 6, 2023, 12:53:17 PM4/6/23
to schedulix
BTW, the w was not going to the end of Java instead was going to the end of .exe. So it was java.exew instead of javaw.exe.

Dieter Stubler

Apr 6, 2023, 1:03:04 PM4/6/23
to schedulix
Ah ok, I understand.
The script assumes that JAVA is set without .exe extension which fails if you use JAVA=java.exe.
The couldn't execute error is most likely cause by your jobserver config which I assume to define USEPATH=false.
This forces the run program to be specified full qualified. Set USEPATH=true to use PATH to find the executable.

Dan Power

Apr 7, 2023, 3:58:57 PM4/7/23
to schedulix
Your thought on why the command below failed, or do you think the jobserver is still not configured right and causing this error.

Dieter Stubler

Apr 7, 2023, 5:42:02 PM4/7/23
to schedulix
If USEPATH of your job server configuration is set to false you have to fully specify the program like '/bin/sh - c echo hello world' for Linux. If set to true, just 'sh
-c hello world' will do it.

Dan Power

Apr 11, 2023, 6:43:24 PM4/11/23
to schedulix