Upgrade to postgress 11, requirements ?

wim.ve...@billinghouse.nl

Nov 15, 2021, 5:39:49 AM11/15/21
to schedulix
 Hi,

We are currently running schedulix 2.8 in combination with postgres 9.x.
As the version is very old and aws stops supporting that version, we need to upgrade to a later version, the intention is to upgrade to version 11.

I have searched the documentation, but it is not clear which versions of postgres are supported. The installation manual indicates v8 and v9, but nothing newer.
Can we upgrade the database used by schedulix to postgress 11 without expecting issues, or do we also need to upgrade schedulix to the latest version first ?

Regards,
Wim Veldhuis
BillingHouse

Ronald Jeninga

Nov 15, 2021, 6:29:52 AM11/15/21
to schedulix
Hi Wim,

thank you for your question!

I have no doubt that schedulix will run flawlessly in combination with PG11.
Since schedulix can operate with a range of database systems, it uses only core functionality of standard SQL.
Things like

INSERT INTO <tablename> (<column-list>) VALUES (<value-list>);
UPDATE <tablename> SET <assignment-list> WHERE ID = <long>;
UPDATE <tablename> SET <assignment-list> WHERE ID = <long> AND VALID_TO = <MAX_LONG>;
DELETE FROM <tablename> WHERE ID = <long>;

(Note that the primary key of a table is either ID, or the combination of ID and VALID_TO).

No database system will get exited about such kind of queries.

At startup time some complex joins are executed. But the query text is, apart from a few details like quoting, the same for all supported DBMS.
It is therefore very unlikely that they won't execute on PG11.

Now since we want to be compatible with PG11 as well, please report any issues immediately.
I'll treat them with priority and it is very likely you'll receive a fix at the very same day.

Best regards,

Ronald

wim.ve...@billinghouse.nl

Dec 8, 2021, 4:25:01 PM12/8/21
to schedulix
Hi,

It took a while (it did not have the highest priority), but we upgraded the database of our test system to postgress 11. We encountered no real issues and the system seems to be working fine.

So if other people need to upgrade to postgres 11, there are no big hurdles :)

Regards,
Wim Veldhuis.

Ronald Jeninga

Dec 9, 2021, 3:29:44 AM12/9/21
to schedulix
Hi Wim,

thank you for sharing your experiences with Postgres 11!

>  So if other people need to upgrade to postgres 11, there are no big hurdles :)
Does this mean you've actually found a tiny, schedulix related, issue and was able to fix it yourself?
Or did you just have to repeat some steps mostly due to being unfamiliar with the new Postgres release?

Anyway, I'm happy you've managed to get the system upgraded and running.

Best regards,

Ronald