New Release 2.10 & new key for signing the rpm packages

Ronald Jeninga

Mar 17, 2021, 5:55:21 AM3/17/21
to schedulix
Hi All,

time flies if you're having fun ...

This is what my former boss used to say, and it turns out to be true.
(TBH. he actually said "tijd vliegt, als je lol hebt").

Anyway, it is over two years ago I've published the "new" key to check the signatures of the rpms in our repository. This makes the key old, and I've published a new key today.

As a consequence I had to remove all the old rpm files in the repository (they would report to be invalid). And I've added the current rpm files for the 2.9 release again.

But we've done more!
And that can be seen by the fact that I've published the rpm files for the 2.10 release that will be officially announced soon. Since the software won't change until then (unless we find an issue), I thought it would be a good idea to make it available.

Currently we are working on finishing the documentation. This will describe how to set up the latest Zope server that now runs with Python 3.  As you probably all know, the support for Python 2 has terminated. That doesn't make Python 2 a bad piece of software; on the contrary I've learned to know it as rock solid! But if security flaws are revealed, they won't be fixed any more and this is why we've migrated the GUI to the latest Zope release (Zope 4 respectively 5).

It will also describe how to set up SSO in combination with Windows Active Directory. That's still quite a piece of work, but still I hope to get that done until end of the month.

Schedulix now also runs on RedHat 8/CentOS 8 platforms. It's always a kind of adventure game when switching from one major release to another.

Of course, a lot more has happened in the software. We'll publish the release notes on our web site as soon as we officially launch the 2.10 release.

If any of you finds issues, please report them immediately. Either here in the Google group, or you can e-mail me directly as well.

Best regards,

Ronald

Juraj Bocinec

Mar 17, 2021, 11:22:15 AM3/17/21
to schedulix
Greetings, we're now unable to access the rpm file, is there new url for rpm packages? We used to use this one: https://www.schedulix.org/de/Downloads/schedulix-repo.rpm but it now prints error:

I assume it's related to the release version changes? Thanks for info.

Juraj

Dátum: streda 17. marca 2021, čas: 10:55:21 UTC+1, odosielateľ: ronald....@independit.de

Ronald Jeninga

Mar 17, 2021, 11:26:08 AM3/17/21
to schedulix
Hi Juraj,

thank you for reporting this.
It's a link to a previous version of the rpm. This is now broken of course, due to the changed key.
I'll fix this immediately, give me 5 minutes.

Thank you,

Ronald

Juraj Bocinec

Mar 18, 2021, 4:55:14 AM3/18/21
to schedulix
Greetings, not sure if my message was delivered since i got back reply that message was blocked, trying here now - thanks for quick fix, i confirm all is working now.

Dátum: streda 17. marca 2021, čas: 16:26:08 UTC+1, odosielateľ: ronald....@independit.de

Ronald Jeninga

Mar 18, 2021, 5:16:40 AM3/18/21
to schedulix
Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it.
(I've received your initial message per e-mail, it just doesn't show up here. I don't know if it's possible to configure stuff in a way that replying to GoogleGroup e-mails works just as well as posting replies here).

Anyway, if you plan to test the new release, please be aware that especially the Zope part isn't stable yet.
As I've written, I am documenting the setup of SSO.
The basic process is that I perform all steps manually and make notes.
Obviously I regularly make mistakes, which is OK (the best way to learn actually). I then analyze what I did wrong, revert my steps and  try again.
Every now and then it turns out that there's a flaw in the schedulix tree or in the rpms.
In the end I take my notes and convert them into a document.

As long as you don't need the SSO part, it'll be safe to try the next release.
If you're waiting for the single sign-on functionality, it'll be better to wait a little longer.

Best regards,

Ronald