Job History of scheduling_entity

Dominik Bahl

May 15, 2019, 3:31:34 AM5/15/19
to schedulix
Dear schedulix Team,

after working with schedulix we need an update of the run program of all jobs.
Our update will look like this.

Old Version
test.sh TestParam1

New Version
test.sh TestParam1 TestParam2

So i thought about the solutions
1) So at first we can do the update via SDMS and alter job definition command. (i only need all jobs)
2) Update the run_programm in the database table scheduling_entity

Both solutions will work for me and are not so much work (second one is easier).

My Questions are now.
In the database table scheduling_entity there is a history of all jobs.
Is it possible to change valid_from and valid_to field to activate an older version?
If yes, is there a plan to provide this function also in the GUI?

We are currently Using Schedulix 2.8.

Best regards
Dominik Bahl

Dieter Stubler

May 15, 2019, 4:04:55 AM5/15/19
to schedulix
Hi,
The save and recommended way is to generate the statements like 'alter job definition... with run_program =...' and then run them using sdmsh.
Updating your database directly might introduce severe problems if you don't exactly know what you are doing.
The versioning of tables like scheduling_entitity was not implemented to do any version control or undo operations.
Those tables are versioned to allow to change definition objects while they are currently active without breaking them.
On a master submit a version number is drawn and all definitions will be accessed using this version number. Changes to versioned objects after a master submit will not be visible for this submitted master.
Use systems like git to do version management.
Mangling around with the timestamps in the database is the fastest way to hell.
Don't do that.
Regards
Dieter

Dominik Bahl

May 15, 2019, 6:39:05 AM5/15/19
to schedulix
Hi,
thanks for your answer.
I now understand the purpose of the two fields.
Best regards