Python3 and Zope4

Ronald Jeninga

Jul 24, 2020, 8:21:36 AM7/24/20
to schedulix
Hi all,

as you all probably know is Python2 not supported any more.
Now fortunately it is an extremely stable piece of software and the Zope server wasn't affected by the decision of the Python guys.
But still, even if it all works, we need a solution to the problem.

I'm happy to announce that we now have a working GUI based on Zope4 that runs with Python3.
Those who want to try it can install the newly created rpm: schedulix-zope4
Of course it can also be installed manually from the sources in gihub (in the v2.9 branch).
We didn't document the process yet, but the zope4_pre and zope4_post scripts (in $SDMSHOME/lib)  provide all the information.

Both the Zope2 and Zope4 based can be installed.
But in that case you'll have to take care of the listening port which is currently 8080 in both cases.
The easiest way to take care of this is

yum install schedulix-zope   # this has been done in the past
service schedulix
-zope stop
yum install schedulix
-zope4
service schedulix
-zop4 stop
vi
/opt/schedulix/schedulixweb4/etc/zope.ini   # change the port number in "listen = *:8080"
service schedulix
-zope start
service schedulix
-zope4 start

Since it is all still brand new, we can't guarantee that there won't be flaws.
We greatly appreciate any bug reports.

Best regards,

Ronald