SCGIS happy hour and news

Janet Nackoney

Feb 8, 2023, 10:25:25 PM2/8/23
to scgi...@googlegroups.com
Hello SCGIS-DC,
Thank you for coming out to the conservation GIS networking happy hour last night! We had a great showing (maybe around 35 ppl?) and it was nice to meet many new people.

There was a lot of interest and excitement about SCGIS, and I shared the attached new 1-page flyer about our organization. On this flyer, you will see our brand-new SCGIS logo in the upper left corner, which reflects our community’s connection to the Earth, mapping, and conservation. Please feel free to share the flyer with others in your networks to spread the word about SCGIS!

Also, SCGIS is looking for volunteers! We have several committees that you can check out here-- feel free to send me an email if you'd like to volunteer with a particular committee and I would be happy to connect you with the respective Committee Lead for more information. Volunteering with SCGIS is a terrific way to meet others and network, and can also serve as a rewarding leadership experience. I have volunteered with SCGIS for almost 20 years!

Finally, we have some new energy in our DC chapter to meet up more often and continue in-person networking events. Stay tuned for news about an upcoming April happy hour event in collaboration with Geo-DC! I will be sending out an email soon asking for volunteers to give lightning talks about their conservation GIS work-- stay tuned! In addition, we are exploring the idea to host a 1-day SCGIS Symposium focused on conservation GIS themes in Fall 2023 here in DC. To do this, we will need volunteers who are interested in helping. If you have the energy to help, please send me an email -- thank you!

If you aren't already, please consider signing up to become a member of SCGIS. Your support helps us to sustain our SCGIS programs like the 2023 Global Scholars Program and Annual Conference. Thank you for your support!

Best,
Janet Nackoney
SCGIS-DC

SCGIS_Welcome_One_Page_ec2702c1da.pdf