Interesting tidbit...

Gene Buckle

Jul 11, 2012, 3:19:50 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
I've got a Raspberry Pi computer (http://www.raspberrypi.org) and just for
giggles I tried building Scarlet on it. The build takes a while but I'll
be damned if it doesn't work!

700 Mhz ARM7(8?) CPU with 256MB of RAM. Works like a champ from the
minimal testing I did.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]

Steven Davies-Morris

Jul 11, 2012, 4:48:40 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On 07/11/2012 12:19 PM, Gene Buckle wrote:
> I've got a Raspberry Pi computer (http://www.raspberrypi.org) and just
> for giggles I tried building Scarlet on it. The build takes a while but
> I'll be damned if it doesn't work!
>
> 700 Mhz ARM7(8?) CPU with 256MB of RAM. Works like a champ from the
> minimal testing I did.
>
> g.

Now that is very cool!
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net

Gene Buckle

Jul 11, 2012, 4:58:51 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

> On 07/11/2012 12:19 PM, Gene Buckle wrote:
>> I've got a Raspberry Pi computer (http://www.raspberrypi.org) and just
>> for giggles I tried building Scarlet on it. The build takes a while but
>> I'll be damned if it doesn't work!
>>
>> 700 Mhz ARM7(8?) CPU with 256MB of RAM. Works like a champ from the
>> minimal testing I did.
>>
>> g.
>
> Now that is very cool!

I suspect it's literally the cheapest computer any multi-value database
has ever been used on. :)

Diccon tesson

Jul 11, 2012, 5:06:56 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com

nice one. haven been interested in doing this since I've seen the spec for the pi.
how's the performance?
Diccon

Diccon tesson

Jul 11, 2012, 5:09:02 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com

also hate you for getting one first. :)

Gene Buckle

Jul 11, 2012, 5:12:21 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Diccon tesson wrote:

> nice one. haven been interested in doing this since I've seen the spec for
> the pi.
> how's the performance?

It's actually pretty nice. Runs off a 4GB SD card. I'm using the Debian
Squeeze distro with it at the moment. I'm working out a few OpenGL issues
in order to do some testing to use it with some glass cockpit software
I've got. It would make an insanely great and affordable flight sim
avionics controller. At $35 you certainly can't beat the price!

Gene Buckle

Jul 11, 2012, 5:13:18 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Diccon tesson wrote:

> also hate you for getting one first. :)

Hee! I've had it since June 16th. Just got around to laser cutting a
case for it yesterday and powered it up for the first time today. :)

Ashley Chapman

Jul 11, 2012, 7:14:09 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
Grrrr... still waiting for mine.  :)

Ashley Chapman

Ashley Chapman

Jul 11, 2012, 7:15:17 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
And well done for getting Scarlet to run  on it!  Far, far more interesting than the 64bit work :)
--
Ashley Chapman

Gene Buckle

Jul 11, 2012, 7:19:10 PM7/11/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Ashley Chapman wrote:

> And well done for getting Scarlet to run on it! Far, far more interesting
> than the 64bit work :)

I fear the 64 bit work is more important in the long run though. :(

Ashley Chapman

Jul 12, 2012, 2:45:40 AM7/12/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On 12 July 2012 00:19, Gene Buckle <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Ashley Chapman wrote:

And well done for getting Scarlet to run  on it!  Far, far more interesting
than the 64bit work :)

I fear the 64 bit work is more important in the long run though. :(

Having it running on the Pi makes it more accessible.  Perhaps that might increase the Scarlet exposure, which in itself increases the chance of a community built 64bit version. :)

Yep, I'm being optimistic, as life is too short for the alternative!

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby.  Geeks collect hobbies.

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]

Ashley Chapman

Gene Buckle

Jul 12, 2012, 11:41:43 AM7/12/12
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Ashley Chapman wrote:

> On 12 July 2012 00:19, Gene Buckle <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Ashley Chapman wrote:
>>
>> And well done for getting Scarlet to run on it! Far, far more
>>> interesting
>>> than the 64bit work :)
>>>
>>> I fear the 64 bit work is more important in the long run though. :(
>

> Having it running on the Pi makes it more accessible. Perhaps that might
> increase the Scarlet exposure, which in itself increases the chance of a
> community built 64bit version. :)
>
> Yep, I'm being optimistic, as life is too short for the alternative!

Do we have any Debian packaging gurus lurking on the list?