Linux ...

Tom deL

Aug 11, 2011, 11:39:21 PM8/11/11
to ScarletDME

Ashley Chapman

Aug 12, 2011, 12:12:04 AM8/12/11
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
Haha, I likeit

"Penguins are so sensitive" ;-)

I'm quietly researching a css/js layout manager. Looking at :-

Blueprint - CSS based
jQuery UI layout plugin - bit complex?
Docking Layout Manager - simple

This is what I'm aiming for:-
itstar.co.uk/version2

It's all a bit (quite a bit) beyond me, but I'm slowly getting there.
Whenever I get time.

On 12 August 2011 03:39, Tom deL <to...@blackflute.com> wrote:
> Kind of quiet in here ...
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ZAaPYimfM
>

> --

Ashley Chapman

Steve Bush

Aug 12, 2011, 3:59:35 AM8/12/11
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
"Things have to change in order that they remain the same" hint hint

Ashley Chapman

Aug 12, 2011, 4:14:10 AM8/12/11
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On 12 August 2011 07:59, Steve Bush <steve...@neosys.com> wrote:
> "Things have to change in order that they remain the same" hint hint

Nope, you've lost me there! But I'me being a bit thick at the moment.
Tells us what exciting things have been happening at you're end.

--
Ashley Chapman

Steve Bush

Aug 12, 2011, 4:35:52 AM8/12/11
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
It is a famous quote from The Leopard which came to mind when I pondered the
likely future of multivalue as we know it. It seems to me that the pool of
people who wish to program in Basic is vanishingly small and slowly getting
smaller as people and applications retire. I also think the data model still
has great appeal. That being the case I don’t see any alternative other than
programming in other languages than Basic. If your whole application on the
server side is written in php or other language .. is it multivalue/Pick? I
am clear that the answer is yes as long virtually all mv/pick concepts are
reimplemented. Once in new languages then it is easy to rope in the new
generation of programmers if your application is generating money to pay
them. Hence the idea "things have to change in order that they remain the
same".

Ashley Chapman

Aug 12, 2011, 4:51:09 AM8/12/11
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On 12 August 2011 08:35, Steve Bush <steve...@neosys.com> wrote:
> It is a famous quote from The Leopard which came to mind when I pondered the
> likely future of multivalue as we know it. It seems to me that the pool of
> people who wish to program in Basic is vanishingly small and slowly getting
> smaller as people and applications retire. I also think the data model still
> has great appeal. That being the case I don’t see any alternative other than
> programming in other languages than Basic. If your whole application on the
> server side is written in php or other language .. is it multivalue/Pick? I
> am clear that the answer is yes as long virtually all mv/pick concepts are
> reimplemented. Once in new languages then it is easy to rope in the new
> generation of programmers if your application is generating money to pay
> them. Hence the idea "things have to change in order that they remain the
> same".

O thanks. Just like we've discussed in the past, and still valid.
Sorry for my obtusivness, it's been a long day.

One of my personal goals with Anji is to make sure I convert the
descrptive terms into modern day vernacular. Thus I'm using terms
such as "Table" instead of "File", and "Array (aka, vArray)" instead
of "multivalue". I feel this is a key concept, as nothing seems to
turn off a DBA than somebody lecturing them about concepts that they
have either not heard of; or worse, consider to be obsolete.

Ash

Steve Bush

Aug 12, 2011, 5:11:37 AM8/12/11
to scarl...@googlegroups.com

Very interesting. So you do "change things in order that they may remain the
same". Some renames are harder ... can you tolerate calling records "rows"?

Ashley Chapman

Aug 12, 2011, 5:29:10 AM8/12/11
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
> Very interesting. So you do "change things in order that they may remain the
> same". Some renames are harder ... can you tolerate calling records "rows"?

You bet! :-) It's only 4 letters instead of 7, and I'm a lazy sod!

Ash

Tom deL

Aug 12, 2011, 11:43:47 AM8/12/11
to ScarletDME
Very short of time ATM but a quick comment on this:

PHP is an amazingly close fit with MV concepts and structures. I'm
really glad that they retained the 3GL capabilities when they firmed
up the OOP side because when used in "3GL mode" PHP is almost a
perfect conceptual parallel to MV/BASIC.

It is very string oriented and the array system allows any element to
be an array so it can actually go much deeper than multivalue/subvalue
but can stand as a proxy for the MV data structure.

If a very popular tool like PHP can become a bridge to MV, hurrah!

On Aug 12, 4:35 am, "Steve Bush" <steve.b...@neosys.com> wrote:
> It is a famous quote from The Leopard which came to mind when I pondered the
> likely future of multivalue as we know it. It seems to me that the pool of
> people who wish to program in Basic is vanishingly small and slowly getting
> smaller as people and applications retire. I also think the data model still
> has great appeal. That being the case I don’t see any alternative other than
> programming in other languages than Basic. If your whole application on the
> server side is written in php or other language .. is it multivalue/Pick? I
> am clear that the answer is yes as long virtually all mv/pick concepts are
> reimplemented. Once in new languages then it is easy to rope in the new
> generation of programmers if your application is generating money to pay
> them. Hence the idea "things have to change in order that they remain the
> same".

jthompson333

Aug 13, 2011, 9:33:34 AM8/13/11
to ScarletDME
I've been having some fun with jquery ui... and its not that complex.
If I can do it, I'm sure you can.

For example, if I need tabs on a page, this is all I do.

<link type="text/css" href="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/
jqueryui/1.8.15/themes/smoothness/jquery-ui.css'" rel="Stylesheet" />

<ul>
</ul>

<script>
$(function() {
$( "#tabs" ).tabs(); //# means any element with an id, in this case
div. You you can use a dot, if its an element with a class.
});
</script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/
libs/jquery/1.6.2/jquery.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/
libs/jqueryui/1.8.15/jquery-ui.js"></script>

In the next two versions they plan on having grids, fancy form
controls, etc. Thats the only major thing I would say thats missing
right now. You can search around and it in plain old jquery- and you
are somewhat dependent on a plugin someone wrote...

https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.8.15/themes/smoothness/jquery-ui.css

But, if they ever get the grid thing, and the easy form elements
(select boxes, radioes, etc.) working, then it will be really slick.