64 bit implementation

MikeR

Sep 18, 2013, 12:33:22 PM9/18/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
I thought you might be interested in the following.

I have installed the 32bit scarletdme in a 64bit installation.

I have installed Mint15 64bit on a laptop.
I have copied my 32bit scarletdme to /usr/qmsys on this Mint15 install, run debian/install.sh and scarletdme starts/ (Note: I compiled nothing)
I have copied an account and that runs.

Job done without any additional bits

Mike

geneb

Sep 18, 2013, 12:35:42 PM9/18/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
It runs just fine on a 64 bit environment, you just can't compile it
there. :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Ashley Chapman

Sep 18, 2013, 2:30:32 PM9/18/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, Gene.  I would have thought that there should be options to the GCC so that it could compile on x64 systems.  What exactly goes wrong?

Ashley Chapman

geneb

Sep 18, 2013, 3:15:41 PM9/18/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Ashley Chapman wrote:

> Interesting, Gene. I would have thought that there should be options to
> the GCC so that it could compile on x64 systems. What exactly goes wrong?

Oh the compile works fine. When it tries to execute object files
that were compiled by the BASIC compiler, the wheels come off.

That's why I'd mentioned that some kind of tool needs to be developed that
can "upgrade" the 32 bit object files to 64 bit or modify the engine to be
able to properly handle 32 bit object code in a 64 bit envronment.

At one time I'd traced out where things started going wrong, but I ran out
of time. It starts when it's unable to read a proper signature from an
object file.

MikeR

Sep 18, 2013, 7:12:30 PM9/18/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
I have an issue with the function ITYPE - it does not work.

It fails when addressing an I descriptor - it aborts

Any clues?

Mike

Wjhonson

Sep 18, 2013, 7:15:22 PM9/18/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
can you post the entire code and the I descr as well?

MikeR

Sep 19, 2013, 5:01:39 AM9/19/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
Forget that! Problem solved.

Thank you for asking for the code etc. It forced me to build a test - which - urhh - worked.
It was an interesting bug in the code that has been there since - forever!

Mike

geneb

Sep 19, 2013, 9:42:05 AM9/19/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, MikeR wrote:

> Forget that! Problem solved.
>
> Thank you for asking for the code etc. It forced me to build a test - which
> - urhh - worked.
> It was an interesting bug in the code that has been there since - forever!

Your code or "ours"? :D

MikeR

Sep 19, 2013, 12:05:22 PM9/19/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
Mine of course! ;-(

Wjhonson

Sep 19, 2013, 12:05:53 PM9/19/13
to scarl...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome!
I'm like the pesky fly that makes you buy a flystrip!