Scalismo 0.92 - first release candidate

Marcel Luethi

Mar 26, 2023, 3:23:13 AM3/26/23
to scalismo
Dear Scalismo-users

I am happy to announce that we released a first release candidate of Scalismo 0.92 (scalismo-0.92-RC1).
This release does not add many new features to Scalismo, but comes with one big change under the hood:
We made Scalismo work natively on Macs with the new M1 and M2 processors.

We achieved this by replacing the native HDF5 libraries with a pure Java version, using the HDF5-Json format instead of .h5 (HDF5 files) for writing statistical models. The HDF5-Json format can be easily converted to regular HDF5 files using the tools provided by the HDF5 group (https://github.com/HDFGroup/hdf5-json). This change enables you to use all your old models without any modifications.

To use Scalismo on Mac M1, add the following line to your build.sbt:
 libraryDependencies +=  "ch.unibas.cs.gravis" %% "scalismo-ui" % "0.92-RC1" exclude ("ch.unibas.cs.gravis", "vtkjavanativesmacosimpl"),
(Note the additional exclude clause after the definition of the depencency)

Another maintenance related change is that we publish Scalismo 0.92 as a Scala 3 library only. You can still use
it from scala 2 projects, but need to change your import to the form
    libraryDependencies += ("ch.unibas.cs.gravis" %% "scalismo" % "0.92-RC1").cross(CrossVersion.for3Use2_13)

The only really new feature is the possibility to visualize point distribution models defined on point clouds in Scalismo-ui.

Further changes include bugfixes and enhancements of the numerical stability in the low rank computations.

See  git shortlog  v0.91.0..v0.92-RC1 for a list of all the changes.

As always, please let us know if you encounter any issues or have any feedback.

Best regards,

Marcel