Exporting ScalismoLab shapemodel as .STL

Karam Elabd

Jan 12, 2023, 6:37:18 PM1/12/23
to scalismo
Hello!

New to forum and wondering if anyone can help me with exporting a shape model from scalismoLabb as a .stl.

I have .scala scripts that initialize scalismolab and generate a shapemodel based on a group of 3D body scans. Is there a scala command I can add to my script that would allow me to export the shape model as a .stl file that can be read by a 3D analysis software (e.g. MeshLab?)
  • Alternatively, is there a way for me to do this within the Scalismo Lab UI?
As a follow-up question: How would I export a 3D object .stl for a shapemodel after modifying the parameters in ScalismoLab?

Thanks! please let me know if I can add any information that can help.

Best,
Karam

Sybren van Rijn

Jan 17, 2023, 12:41:09 PM1/17/23
to scalismo
Hello Karam,

You cannot export the SSM as stl, but you can export an instance from the model as STL if you want, such as an example shape or an instance of your shape model based on some set of coefficients. What exactly do you want to export?

you can write an STL to a file with:
MeshIO.writeMesh(mesh, new File("name.stl")

kind regards,
Sybren

S Arbabi

Feb 6, 2023, 3:08:51 PM2/6/23
to scalismo
Hi Karam,

WebSSM also allows you to visualize your Scalismo shape model directly on the web interactively, and save its unlimited .stl instances that you make by changing the shape modes.
You can run it on a real server (like this example, https://ankleshapemodels.com, where you see a download button in the bottom of screen), or you can run it locally only on your computer.

Cheers,
Saeed