Web-based tool for shape model visualization, manipulation and sampling

S Arbabi

Apr 21, 2021, 7:45:24 AM4/21/21
to scalismo
Hi,

For a research project we were looking for ways to give easy, no-installation-required access to audiences to our generated shape model. For that purpose I built this tool that you can see in this demo . Basically it extracts the shape model parameters from h5 file, then on the web back-end and front-end it processes and visualizes those data.
I was wondering about any thoughts or suggestions.

Best wishes,
Saeed

egger.b...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2021, 8:17:41 AM4/21/21
to scalismo
Hi Saeed,

this is pretty cool :)

I'd like a button where people can upload their own models - or if the tool itself would be released as open source
Other than that it looks very nice to me.
One small thing that was useful in the past would be to have a field where you can change the magnitude of the sliders. You are at the moment limited to 3 standard deviations, and that is sometimes just not enough :)

Best
Bernhard

S Arbabi

Apr 21, 2021, 8:43:17 AM4/21/21
to scalismo
Hi Bernhard,

Thank you very much for your suggestion,
Of course, if that sounds like a good addition to Scalismo, I would be happy to contribute.

Best wishes,
Saeed

Marcel Luethi

Apr 21, 2021, 11:59:47 AM4/21/21
to S Arbabi, scalismo
Hi Saeed

Thanks a lot for sharing your work. This looks very interesting. In many group internal discussions we talked about how it would be nice to have a way of visualizing objects directly in a browser. But we did not have the resources to branch out in this direction.

The vision would be that we could simply instantiate a ScalismoWebUI instead of ScalismoUI and the objects would be displayed in a browser instead of ScalismoUI. We do not have the resources currently to work on something like that. But your tool looks like a nice step in this direction. Have you used webgl directly, or is your method based on paraview web or vtkjs? Do you think it could ever evolve in that direction?

In any case, it is surely useful for many people and I am always happy to advertise/ link to it in case there it becomes openly available.

Best regards,

Marcel

S Arbabi

Apr 22, 2021, 3:24:29 AM4/22/21
to scalismo
Hi Marcel,

Actually in this tool I have used vtk.js for visualization.
I agree, having ScalismoWebUI will be a very nice design direction for Scalismo.
Thanks for the compliment and support. I'll update you on the finalized version of the current implementation, soon.

Best wishes,
Saeed

S Arbabi

Jun 2, 2021, 3:00:18 PM6/2/21
to scalismo
Dear Marcel, All,

Here is the GitHub repo of web-based tool for visualization, interaction and sampling of statistical shape models (WebSSM)
-a demo video on Youtube and a citable archive on Zenodo

Information for setting it up and customization is provided in the readme of the project on GitHub.
@Bernhard, I showed in readme along with a screen shot, how it's easily possible not to be limited to 3SD deviations from mean in web view of SSM.

Best Regards,
Saeed