Mesh Filling in Scalismo- How can I make a given mesh hollow?

S Gof

Mar 31, 2021, 9:16:37 AM3/31/21
to scalismo
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to make a given mesh hollow directly in Scalismo without using any external software/ package for mesh editing.

My goal is to only use the outer surface of a mesh but examples with tiny "pockets" between surfaces sometimes obscure my results.

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Marcel Luethi

Apr 1, 2021, 4:04:49 AM4/1/21
to S Gof, scalismo
Hi Alex

Scalismo does not directly support it. However, it comes bundled with vtk. If you find such a filter in vtk, you can directly use it from Scalismo. The following code snippets illustrates this process:

val mesh : TriangleMesh[_3D] = ???
val vtkPD = MeshConversion.meshToVtkPolyData(mesh)

// some processing with vtk
val decimator = new vtkDecimatePro()
decimator.SetInputData(vtkPD)
decimator.SetTargetReduction(0.9)
decimator.Update()

// converting it back
val decimatedMesh : TriangleMesh[_3D] = MeshConversion.vtkPolyDataToTriangleMesh(decimator.GetOutput())
Best regards,

Marcel