Scalate future?

pkc

May 25, 2014, 8:27:40 AM5/25/14
to sca...@googlegroups.com
There is a noticable lack of activity on this project now that Scala 2.11 and Java 8 have been released and Scalate has not been updated.  Can we get an official statement on the future of Scalate?  It is the most productive templating solution for Java based languages that I have used so it is curious that there seems to be a lack of leadership and direction for this proven tool.  It is impacting other frameworks that now have a questionable future like Scalatra.  Scalatra and Scalate seem to work without all the over engineered inefficient nonsense that has plagued the java community for over 15 years.

Ross A. Baker

May 25, 2014, 10:56:44 AM5/25/14
to sca...@googlegroups.com
There is a Scala 2.11 release for both Scalate and Scalatra.  I'm still on Java 7, but I'm unaware of any problems running either of those on Java 8.  If you have any, please let the appropriate list know.

"org.scalatra.scalate" % "scalate-core_2.11" % "1.7.0"
"org.scalatra" % "scalatra_2.11" % "2.3.0.RC3"

Scalatra remains important in the plans of several companies, including my own employer.  It is still actively maintained, with ideas for both a 2.4 and 3.0 release.

As for Scalate, my plans are to keep it running on new versions of Scala to support Scalatra, but I don't have any current plans to add features.  It does what I need it to do.  I will also happily help review pull requests and cut releases for anyone else who makes contributions to drive Scalate forward.

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 8:27 AM, pkc <pkc...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is a noticable lack of activity on this project now that Scala 2.11 and Java 8 have been released and Scalate has not been updated.  Can we get an official statement on the future of Scalate?  It is the most productive templating solution for Java based languages that I have used so it is curious that there seems to be a lack of leadership and direction for this proven tool.  It is impacting other frameworks that now have a questionable future like Scalatra.  Scalatra and Scalate seem to work without all the over engineered inefficient nonsense that has plagued the java community for over 15 years.

Rafał Krzewski

May 25, 2014, 6:20:04 PM5/25/14
to sca...@googlegroups.com
I think the reason is that most new web application nowadays are done with JS frontends (angular.js, ember.js etc) with REST interface to backend. Server side HTML generation at runtime is not important as it used to be a few years ago.

cheers,
Rafał

pkc

May 28, 2014, 12:13:58 AM5/28/14
to sca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update.  I should have looked a little deeper but it does bring up the importance of updating the main web page!

pkc

May 28, 2014, 12:33:22 AM5/28/14
to sca...@googlegroups.com
This is true.  I tend to use a hybrid approach where main pages are built with templates and cached with Apache or Nginx so there is minimal javascript for max performance.  Then I have been using Scalate to build AngularJS application pages and then the AngularJS controllers can pull in html fragments for views in addition to REST to get/update the model with JSON.  Scalatra and Scalate seem to work nicely for this approach.