Correction-on-use and correction-on-change on Scalaris?

Ismael Figueroa

Sep 24, 2014, 10:26:26 AM9/24/14
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I recently have been playing with Scalaris, and in the UserDev Guide I found a reference to DKS.
Hence I'm wondering if Scalaris has implemented the features of "correction-on-use" [1] and "correction-on-change" [2], that replace the traditional stabilization mechanisms of Chord?

If not, what would be the simplest route to implement them?

Thanks, best regards!

[1] Luc Onana Alima, Sameh El-Ansary, Per Brand and Seif Haridi. DKS(N, k, f) A family of Low- Communication, Scalable and Fault-tolerant Infrastructures for P2P applications. The 3rd Inter- national workshop on Global and P2P Computing on Large Scale Distributed Systems, (CCGRID 2003), May 2003.

[2] A. Ghodsi, L. O. Alima, and S. Haridi. Low-bandwidth topology maintenance for robustness in structured over- lay networks. In Proceedings of the Proceedings of the 38th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Sys- tem Sciences - Volume 09, HICSS ’05, pages 302.1–, Washington, DC, USA, 2005. IEEE Computer Society.

Florian Schintke

Sep 25, 2014, 4:30:43 AM9/25/14
to scal...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

for the ring maintenance of Scalaris is supported by a T-MAN [3] based
approach, which is a gossiping based schema that uses Cyclon [4] to
find random nodes and thereby is able to fix correlated node
failures that span more than the length of the succesor list.

[3] Márk Jelasity, Alberto Montresor, Ozalp Babaoglu. T-Man:
Gossip-based fast overlay topology construction. Computer Networks
(CN) 53(13):2321-2339, 2009.

[4] Spyros Voulgaris, Daniela Gavidia, Maarten van Steen. CYCLON:
Inexpensive Membership Management for Unstructured P2P
Overlays. J. Network Syst. Manage. 13(2): 2005.

As far as I know, it does not implement "correction-on-use", but
"correction-on-change" (maybe not exactly the way as described in [2]).

If you want to add that, you would roughly have to detect outdated
ring maintenance information during the lookup_aux and lookup_fin
messages and tell the ring maintenance (rm_... modules) to fix it.

Cheers,
Florian