Is Scala+GWT active

steve Zara

Nov 28, 2012, 10:04:43 AM11/28/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I'm really interested in this project.  GWT is a key part of the development strategy where I work, and is the main reason why we stick with Java.  Scala+GWT would mean that Scala was available for us to evaluate for all future projects.  So, is Scala+GWT still under development?

Simon Ochsenreither

Nov 28, 2012, 1:58:40 PM11/28/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, all key contributors are currently busy working to get Scala 2.10 out in the next few/days weeks.
So if you don't get an answer immediately, try and ping after 2.10 is shipped. With the new direction/leadership of GWT, it is certainly possible that improvements to the GWT will now be merged faster, so that using Scala-GWT will get easier.

Eric Richardson

Nov 28, 2012, 2:31:38 PM11/28/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com

steve Zara

Nov 29, 2012, 10:03:09 PM11/29/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
  1. Thank you for the fast response.  It's certainly encouraging.

Lex Spoon

Nov 30, 2012, 11:14:19 AM11/30/12
to scalagwt
Regarding the change in GWT management, I particularly anticipate the
change to using Git.

The next step for Scala+GWT is to consolidate and submit for review
our patch on the GWT side. To do that, we need a current version of
GWT in git. And to do *that*, we need one of:

1. The current maintainer of our GWT->Git export finds a chance to update it.
2. Someone makes a new GWT->Git export.
3. GWT itself switches to Git.

Lex

Thomas Koch

Nov 30, 2012, 12:54:11 PM11/30/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com, Lex Spoon
Lex Spoon:
> 3. GWT itself switches to Git.

The GWT issuetracker does not list any request to switch to Git:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list?can=1&q=git

Maybe you might want to open one?

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Stephen Haberman

Nov 30, 2012, 1:05:59 PM11/30/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com, l...@lexspoon.org

> 3. GWT itself switches to Git.

There is an "official but trial only" Gerrit repo setup here:

https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/

With the caveat that it hasn't been blessed as official because they
might re-run the svn->git export a few more times to tweak which
directories/jars/plugins/etc. are included (I don't know the details).
And so Perforce is still the master.

It's been a slow process, but the official cut over should happen
"sometime". I would assume we might as well wait to rebase scala-gwt
changes on top of the official git repo, once it happens.

- Stephen

Clint Gilbert

Nov 30, 2012, 1:07:50 PM11/30/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com