ScalaFX books

Daniel Roberts

Aug 10, 2019, 10:13:42 PM8/10/19
to ScalaFX Users
I can't find any ScalaFX books. Is ScalaFX enough of a JavaFX wrapper that I can just learn it from a JavaFX book?
Thanks!

Bene Volent

Oct 12, 2019, 1:39:39 PM10/12/19
to ScalaFX Users
In case still relevant some chapters are dedicated to scalafx examples in Mark Lewis's books (from 2017 if I'm not mistaken):
- Scala Object-Orientation, Abstaction and Data Structures
- Intro to Programming and Problem Solving Using Scala 2nd Edition
I think that's all there is.

Mark Lewis

Oct 13, 2019, 10:11:12 AM10/13/19
to ScalaFX Users
Thanks for the mention. I will note that the way I learned enough to write that material (and the associated YouTube videos) was reading books on JavaFX and applying it to ScalaFX. Most of the time the transition is straightforward. So while I love selling books, if you want a book that is focused on ScalaFX and goes into depth, your best bet is probably a book on JavaFX. However, if you are open to having a lot of other CS topics covered in Scala with a chapter or two on ScalaFX then please take a look at the textbooks that Bene mentioned.

Daniel Roberts

Oct 13, 2019, 10:17:55 AM10/13/19
to scalaf...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Yes I ended up buying Pro JavaFx about a week after asking the initial question. I would have bought Mark’s book but textbook prices are a bit steep for me these days.

Thanks for the videos Mark. They are an amazing resource. We are very lucky to have them.

Cheers