New session of coursera's Scala class

Yago Alonso

Feb 1, 2013, 4:30:46 AM2/1/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!
For those of you who missed it last time, there's gonna be a new session of the 'Functional Programming Principles in Scala' class on the Coursera.org platfform, starting on Mar 25th 2013. This class is taught by Martin Odersky himself, and i'm sure that all of us who took can only recommend it, it was a fascinating learning experience. I sure hope there'll be a 2nd part on more advanced subjects!

Sebastian Nozzi

Feb 1, 2013, 5:14:55 AM2/1/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
So you took it?

How many hours per week/day did you need to invest on it?

2013/2/1 Yago Alonso <yalo...@gmail.com>:

Gerald Loeffler

Feb 1, 2013, 5:21:04 AM2/1/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
i spent maybe 2 hours per week watching videos and 3-4 hours per week completing exercises.

it was well worth it, but really only covered the harmless, "old-school" functional aspects of Scala plus traits and type parameters. Many very important (and more innovative) aspects of Scala were left out, like implicits, macros, reflection, parallel collections, actors, annotations, type variables, self-typing, etc., etc.

  cheers
  gerald

Michal Bigos

Feb 1, 2013, 5:46:32 AM2/1/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
It's about FP not Scala and its features :) I definitely think it's worth the effort.

cheers Michal.
'(")'~

Yago Alonso

Feb 1, 2013, 11:48:24 AM2/1/13
Gerald's estimation is about right, but of course the further you get the harder the assignments become. I'm still having nightmares of the anagrams' one :)