Peer reviewing past assignments for Coursera's "Principles of Reactive Programming"?

p_brc

Dec 1, 2013, 5:57:17 AM12/1/13
Hi, Everyone!

I know some of you attend the current Scala course on Coursera. So do I.  While I enjoy the course quite a bit, there is one thing I miss: feedback on the assignments we have to  submit.

While I did get full marks on all assignments so far I am still not convinced that the automated tests the organisers use to grade them catch all mistakes.  And of course these tests can't tell whether your code is idiomatic Scala/clean/etc. at all.

I recently attended a different course which I found quite remarkable in regards to how they addressed this issue. They offered tutorial videos for every assignment. In these videos the instructor presented solutions to the most important parts of the respective assignment after the deadline had expired. I found that very instructive. (I have written about this course here: http://pbrc.blogspot.co.at/2013/11/on-moocs.html )

While we can't change the way the course is set up, we can substitute the missing bits. I thought I would be helpful if we compared our solutions to past assignments and tried to get the missing feedback by "peer reviewing" each other.

- as we are not allowed to put the code into a public repo, I thought we could just do something like a Google Hangout where one of us presented his solution (via screen sharing) and the others commented on it
- if somebody used a radically different approach than the one presented he could take over and show it as well etc.
- we would only look at past assignments not the current ones (which would be violating the honour code and take all the fun out of figuring it out by yourself)
- by using something like Google Hangouts we would make it easier for everybody to join (no travel and there are already quite a number of meetups to go to ...). Alternatively we could do it at one of the Scala user group meetings.

What do you think?

Peter

Wolfgang Wagner

Dec 2, 2013, 1:50:02 AM12/2/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

I would like to prticipate.

Am 01.12.2013 11:56 schrieb "p_brc" <peter.b...@gmail.com>:
Hi, Everyone!

I know some of you attend to current Scala course on Coursera. So do I.  While I enjoy the course quite a bit, there is one thing I miss: feedback on the assignments we have to  submit.

Peter Brachwitz

Dec 2, 2013, 7:26:40 AM12/2/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I created a doodle to find a suitable timeslot sometime this week
(excl. Wednesday => Dojo)

http://doodle.com/d7wqrbubc8dnq6dw

Alexander Daniel

Dec 3, 2013, 4:06:19 AM12/3/13
to Vienna Scala Enthusiasts
Hi Peter,

I like the idea a lot and I would like to join.

But currently I do not find the time and rather focus on this weeks’s assignment.

Alex

Peter Brachwitz

Dec 3, 2013, 7:09:51 AM12/3/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to suggest to do a first review session on Thursday as both
Wolfgang and I are available on that day. If you want to join us next
week we could postpone until then.

Alexander Daniel

Dec 3, 2013, 7:47:37 AM12/3/13
to Vienna Scala Enthusiasts
Go ahead and do it this week. I probably won’t have time next week either.

Alex

Peter Brachwitz

Dec 4, 2013, 6:07:16 AM12/4/13
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
We are going to do a first review session tomorrow starting at 19:00h
on Google Hangout. Feel free to join us if you are interested.