A new direction for the Dojos

Sebastian Nozzi

Apr 1, 2014, 7:02:49 AM4/1/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow Scala coders,

I want to announce you today the new direction that the dojos will be taking from now on.

We all love and cherish the advantages and features that Scala brings us:
  • functional programming
  • first class functions
  • immutability
  • actors, etc.
But I think that many of us do not really appreciate what Scala offers... Especially what is lacking is a proper contrast with other technologies. Most of us also remain ignorant about important historical facts of programming and computing in general.

That's why for the next Dojo I'm planning something completely different, so that the contrast between Scala and other technologies becomes more apparent: an Akka workshop in Turbo Pascal.

In this workshop we'll be implementing Java Serialization and the Akka communication protocol in Turbo Pascal. The idea is to contrast the two approaches: the existing Scala/Java implementation and the Turbo Pascal one. I expect that we can do better and be more memory efficient than the original: 640kb should be enough.

You'll need to install DosBox and have an up-and-running MS DOS installation. I'll post a howto-guide for this in the next couple of days. I will also send you instructions on how to get and install Turbo Pascal. At the day of the event there will also be floppy disks (3 1/2") available for installation, which you can keep as a souvenir.

I hope you are as excited as I am with this new approach and idea, and that it helps us bring Scala nearer to the existing Turbo Pascal community.

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S. After that, I am already working on a workshop in which we will re-implement the Play Framework in Quick-Basic.

P.P.S. What date is today?

Rafael Cordones

Apr 1, 2014, 11:54:34 AM4/1/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In this workshop we'll be implementing Java Serialization and the Akka communication protocol in Turbo Pascal. The idea is to contrast the two approaches: the existing Scala/Java implementation and the Turbo Pascal one. I expect that we can do better and be more memory efficient than the original: 640kb should be enough.

This is awesome! Great idea! Count me in to help during the dojo! I actually have Turbo Pascal experience.

We also got some cool goodies to sponsor during the dojo:

- "Turbo Pascal, version 3.0: Reference manual"

- And for the real hard-core developers… a classic: "Peter Norton's Assembly Language Book for the IBM PC”

And, for the one being able to re-implement Akka communication protocol in Turbo Pascal in under 640 KB will win a 56k dial-up modem!

/rafa

Christian Papauschek

Apr 1, 2014, 12:09:10 PM4/1/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Dammit, I only know Turbo Basic =/

Yago Alonso

Apr 1, 2014, 2:31:36 PM4/1/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I think it's better to go all the way though and become the Pascal User Group ( Not even Turbo, that's so 1990's)

Sebastian Nozzi

Apr 2, 2014, 4:03:08 AM4/2/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 20:31:36 UTC+2, Yago Alonso wrote:
( Not even Turbo, that's so 1990's)

That's the whole point! :-)

We should pay homage to the technologies that saw us grow (ok, maybe not all of you).

Sebastian Nozzi

Apr 2, 2014, 4:04:38 AM4/2/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Rafa. We could order the books and then do a raffle!

Peter Kofler

Apr 3, 2014, 2:36:12 AM4/3/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, sebn...@googlemail.com
Such a shame this is only a 1st April joke. Although TP is not as powerful as our modern languages, I still like it a lot, and even did a kata some time ago, see http://blog.code-cop.org/2010/02/turbo-pascal-prime-factors-kata.html Once I was very fluent in it, but I did not practice so I lost it. I happened to write more than 200.000 LoC TP during 90ties. Sigh ;-)

Am Dienstag, 1. April 2014 13:02:49 UTC+2 schrieb Sebastian Nozzi:
Hello fellow Scala coders,

Sebastian Nozzi

Apr 3, 2014, 4:21:18 AM4/3/14
to Peter Kofler, scala-...@googlegroups.com
You never cease to surprise me, Peter! Although this does not top your kata-solving through XSLT.

I did some TP at school. I liked it, actually.

Did you write TP professionally?? How come so many LOCs?
Message has been deleted