Scala meetup at REA Group on Monday 26th Feb

Luke Stephenson

Feb 10, 2018, 10:48:42 PM2/10/18
to Melbourne Scala User Group
Demystifying the FP learning journey

This month Melbourne Scala will be hosted at REA Group.

Arrive from 5:45 for pizza, drinks and conversation, talks start at 6:30pm.

Today we have a great talk for beginners! Gavin Baumanis is an Application Support Manager at Mercy Health, and has been a keen Scala user and FP student for several years. He'll talk to us about his FP learning journey and demystify basic FP concepts!

"FP is just like Maths they said. it's so simple to reason about. How can you not get it? But I was resigned to the fact that after nearly 5 years of trying to self-teach myself FP - I was just never going to get it. Then almost instantly - I found out why I was failing to learn - and have never looked back, since!

In the presentation, we'll demystify the FP vocabulary, and hopefully prove to you that;
* FP allows for more concise code - that is still easy to reason about.
* Reading the function signature IS all you need to do
* You don't need VARs... VALs are better!
* FP IS awesome - how can you not see it! "

Hope to see you & lots of new faces there on the 26th!

-Ben, Ken, Tianhao, Luke, Tom and Bob

Luke Stephenson

Feb 10, 2018, 10:49:59 PM2/10/18
to Melbourne Scala User Group