Next Melbourne Scala: Wed June 14: Ben Hutchison on Hands-on with Eff effects framework

Ben Hutchison

Jun 5, 2017, 2:43:08 AM6/5/17
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

First up, an apology & explanation for the lack of any communications or meetups since our April night at Zendesk. Ive been running super-busy all through May, between giving a workshop up at Lambdajam, heading to Copenhagen for Scaladays and Typelevel Summit (I fly back today), my day job and family life.

Anyway, its surely time for another meetup. Wednesday June 14, I will present the workshop I took to Lambdajam, Getting Work Done with Extensible Effects:

The workshop teaches how you can use the Eff framework [https://github.com/atnos-org/eff] to solve practical, applied problems with pure functional programming. In last few years, the landscape has shifted in that there's now a wealth of techniques available that permit pure FP to be employed in the constrained, side-effect-heavy contexts we encounter in industry.

I'll present the workshop as seemingly worked well in Sydney: those who want to try the exercises on their own laptops can do so. But I'll also go through solving each exercise on the big screen. So if you're not up to tackling exercises at the end of a long day, you have a less strenuous learning pathway available.

We'll host at REA Group offices this month, Ground floor 511 Church St Richmond. Arrive from 5:30pm for drinks, pizza & conversation, the workshop will run 6:30-7:30pm. Reach me on 0407 990 094 if you have troubles with building access.

As always, newcomers welcome. Hope to see you there,

-Ben