Melbourne Scala meetup: Mon Feb 6th: Luke Stephenson on Scala Futures v Monix

Ben Hutchison

Jan 17, 2017, 9:48:05 PM1/17/17
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Melbourne Scala kicks off for 2017 on Monday 6th Feb at our regular venue REA Group, ground floor, 511 Church Street, Richmond. Go in through the red door next to lifts. Someone will open outer door regularly through to 6:30pm. Call Ben on 0407 990094 for help with access.

Luke Stephenson, Lead Developer of the Property Core team at REA Group, will be giving an overview of some design issues with scala.concurrent.Future with corresponding examples, and then an introduction to the Monix library [https://monix.io/] and how it addresses those issues.

Arrive from 5:45pm for pizza, drinks and conversation, presentations start at 6:30pm. As always, newcomers welcome.

Hope to see you there,

-Ben

Luke Stephenson

Feb 6, 2017, 5:27:38 AM2/6/17
to Melbourne Scala User Group

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who attended tonight. Some great questions and discussion around the topic.

The slides and code examples are available on github https://github.com/lukestephenson/future-vs-monix

And if anything I presented didn't make sense or was incorrect (hopefully not!), let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks

Luke

Tom Adams

Feb 6, 2017, 5:53:27 AM2/6/17
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone record it by chance??? :)

--
tom adams
e:tomjadams<at>gmail.com

Luke Stephenson

Feb 6, 2017, 4:21:28 PM2/6/17
to Melbourne Scala User Group
Hi Tom,

It wasn't recorded.  If you are out East Richmond way near the REA offices I could run through the content with you.

Luke

Tom Adams

Feb 7, 2017, 3:10:16 AM2/7/17
to Scala Melb
Damn :) Would be great to get a personal overview, love to buy you lunch if that sweetens the deal.

Alternatively if you'd be interested in coming to the city & doing a presentation to Redbubble, we'd love to have you. We could make it public if there's enough interest (for those that couldn't make it)??

Tom

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/scala-melb.