Scala Meetup @Zendesk on Monday 21st August

Bob Raman

Aug 12, 2017, 8:02:33 PM8/12/17
to Melbourne Scala User Group
This month Melbourne Scala will be hosted at  Zendesk (Basement, 395 Collins Street, Melbourne).

Arrive from 5:45 for pizza, drinks and conversation, talks start at 6:30pm.

Tim Cuthbertson (an engineer at Zendesk) seems to have a morbid fascination with concurrency, having previously worked on the concurrency-oriented StratifiedJS language.

“This talk will discuss some of the pros and cons of actors, specifically Akka. I’ll discuss the good and the bad parts of Akka’s abstraction at a high level - you don’t need to use Akka yourself to follow along. Then I’ll introduce a minimal (and slightly experimental) alternative with similar performance, more type safety and built-in backpressure."

As always, newcomers most welcome. Hope to see you there.

-Ben,Ken,Tianhao,Luke,Tom and Bob