Modules

David Starner

Nov 15, 2016, 3:55:16 AM11/15/16
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Java 9 is feature complete, and the module system (Jigsaw) is designed and documented. (O'Reilly has "Java 9 Modularity" in Early Release and in Safari, and http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/ has most of the necessary information.)  Is there any plans on Scala adopting a compatible module system? It looks like there could be a reasonably straightforward adaptation.

Adriaan Moors

Nov 15, 2016, 12:31:26 PM11/15/16
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We plan to be compatible with Java 9's module system, and have the compiler tell you when your program would violate the module system (i.e. if your program compiles, it should not fail with linkage errors when run against the same modules it was compiled with).

We don't currently have any plans to go beyond that. More details will follow in the coming weeks as we announce our plans for 2.13.

Cheers
Adriaan