scala-io-file with scala 2.10.0 final

Matthew Neeley

Dec 28, 2012, 1:52:20 PM12/28/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Scala 2.10.0 is out, though not announced (jars have been pushed to maven repos so projects can build against them and publish updated versions).  I tried pulling down scala-io-file_2.10 and running it with 2.10.0 final, but it seems it was built against an RC or milestone and breaks when run against the final version (stack trace included below).  It would be great to get an updated version built against 2.10, and I assume this will take nothing more than building and publishing as it appears to be a binary compatibility, not a source compatibility issue.  Any chance of getting a 0.4.2 version pushed out soon?

thanks!
Matthew

here's the stacktrace:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: scala.LowPriorityImplicits.charWrapper(C)Lscala/runtime/RichChar;
at scalax.file.FileSystem.<init>(FileSystem.scala:49)
at scalax.file.defaultfs.DefaultFileSystem.<init>(DefaultFileSystem.scala:20)
at scalax.file.FileSystem$.<init>(FileSystem.scala:34)
at scalax.file.FileSystem$.<clinit>(FileSystem.scala)
at scalax.file.Path$.apply(Path.scala:84)

James Roper

Jan 16, 2013, 10:33:33 PM1/16/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
It looks like there is now an artifact in Maven central that works, however, there's now a big problem.  I'm not sure where the original scala-io-file_2.10 came from, who published it, or where it was published, but it was published mid last year, and has been cached all over the place (including on my machine and in the Typesafe mirrors), and so any project that depends on it are going to have some people getting an artifact that doesn't work, and some people that get an artifact that does.

The solution to this would be to release and publish a new version (eg 0.4.2).  Even if there are no changes, it has to be done.

Jesse Eichar

Jan 17, 2013, 2:13:57 AM1/17/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
2 points.

1.  I am the one that posts to maven central so all scala-io should be in maven central.
2.  The implicits error has been reported in a ticket on the scala-io github repo: https://github.com/jesseeichar/scala-io/issues/77

There is a work around for the problem listed on the ticket until Typesafe can get around to fixing their repository.

Jesse

Josh Suereth

Jan 17, 2013, 2:37:32 AM1/17/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

Having issues with the repository.   Once I fix that, the issue should resolve.

James Roper

Jan 20, 2013, 6:01:55 PM1/20/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I don't think removing the artifact from the Typesafe repository is enough.  It is cached in other places too, for example:

Although the binary that this links to was compiled against Scala 2.10.0 (because it links to maven central), the metadata that is cached on that page says it was compiled against Scala 2.10.0-M7.  Who knows what other mirrors and proxies across the web as well as corporate nexus proxies have the binary cached?  Who knows how many individuals have it in their local maven/ivy caches?  Once an artifact is published, there's no revoking it, maven/ivy make it clear that artifacts may be cached forever, which means you will still get (and other projects that depend on scala-io-file) issue reports and mailing list posts from users saying there is an issue.  The only way to resolve an issue like this is to roll the version forward.

Jesse Eichar

Jan 21, 2013, 1:02:18 AM1/21/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Well in that case I will make a patch ASAP for scala-arm to remove the jta depencency and we can resolve to issues at once.  Hopefully I can resolve this issue this week.

Thanks for the information James,  what you say makes a lot of sense and we need to be more careful next time we deal with SNAPSHOTs.

Jesse

Josh Suereth

Jan 21, 2013, 4:08:07 AM1/21/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

Patch already made.

I was working a new version that cuts jta out wholly, but not ready yet.   What's in master is good enough for a 1.3 release though.

Jesse Eichar

Jan 21, 2013, 4:22:26 AM1/21/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Have any tips for what i should do regarding this change?

Josh Suereth

Jan 21, 2013, 12:21:38 PM1/21/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I just cut the 1.3 release.  Can you try it and see if t works for you?

Jesse Eichar

Jan 21, 2013, 2:21:35 PM1/21/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Running the tests.  so far it looks good

Jesse Eichar

Jan 21, 2013, 2:29:01 PM1/21/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Looks good Josh.
I will make a point release with this change.

Josh Suereth

Jan 21, 2013, 6:15:06 PM1/21/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

Rawk.   Sorry it took me so long.   I stupidly signed up to write another book....