Unofficial build for Eclipse Photon / Scala 2.12.7

Rafał Krzewski

Sep 28, 2018, 10:44:55 AM9/28/18
to Scala IDE User
Hey,

I've updated my unofficial build for Eclipse Photon

Sources:

Update site:
https://storage.googleapis.com/scala-ide-photon/

I've upgraded Scala platform to 2.12.2 and Zinc to 1.2.1 (I got some test failures with 1.2.2)
I've also upgraded AJDT dependency to Eclipse 4.8
I'm running on JDK 8 and I have reasons to believe to it won't work on JDK 9+ because of old version of AspectJ compiler, see https://github.com/mojohaus/aspectj-maven-plugin/pull/37

Also I would like to mention that scala-ide was abandoned by it's sponsors and all original developers have moved on. You should not expect any further official releases.
There is no point in complaining because there is nobody to listen except other stranded users.
I'm just an user and I happen to know just enough to keep the my own IDE clunking along for now.
I'm sharing results of my work hoping that someone else will find it useful, without any guarantees or support of any kind.

Cheers,
Rafał

Arnaud

Sep 28, 2018, 10:54:19 AM9/28/18
to Scala IDE User
thanks a lot Rafal

the scala tooling situation is a bit sad :(

Rafał Krzewski

Sep 29, 2018, 4:41:01 AM9/29/18
to Scala IDE User
W dniu piątek, 28 września 2018 16:54:19 UTC+2 użytkownik Arnaud napisał:

the scala tooling situation is a bit sad :(

Indeed it is. But there are some good news: Scala Center allocated some funding for Metals development: https://github.com/scalameta/metals/releases/tag/v0.1.0

With LSP support in Eclipse had a 1.0 release recently, so there is a possible path forward for Scala support in Eclipse beyond Scala IDE.

cheers,
Rafał

Arnaud

Sep 30, 2018, 9:40:51 AM9/30/18
to Scala IDE User
Rafal,

Thanks for the info. I have a question about LSP based approach:
Do you think it would work well with mixed java-scala project?
Could the LSP (scala) part work well with the Eclipse build-in (java) part compiled inside the same project?
(Similar to today's compilerOrder=mixed)

thanks
Arnaud

Rafał Krzewski

Oct 1, 2018, 4:55:52 AM10/1/18
to Scala IDE User
Arnaud,

I think that would be hard or impossible. Language server only provides code intelligence (navigation, search, types, docstrings, completions) but does not produce bytecode. You would have to run a separate tool, like sbt or Bloop to generate class files. I guess JDT could pick up those classes, but that would only enable one way dependencies, and would probably be rather brittle.

cheers,
Rafał

Nils Kilden-Pedersen

Oct 4, 2018, 3:53:56 PM10/4/18
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of using 2.12.7, with the compiler improvements?

Antonio Gelameris

Oct 5, 2018, 9:38:29 AM10/5/18
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Btw I'm on Eclipse Version: Photon Release (4.8.0) Build id: 20180619-1200 and using the plugin placed here: https://storage.googleapis.com/scala-ide-photon/ doesn't let me create scala projects or similar.

Rafał Krzewski

Oct 7, 2018, 3:26:13 PM10/7/18
to Scala IDE User
Hi Nils,

the latest build is using Scala 2.12.7, as indicated in the title of this thread ;)

cheers,
Rafał

Nils Kilden-Pedersen

Oct 8, 2018, 10:44:52 AM10/8/18
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Ah, missed that. I just saw " I've upgraded Scala platform to 2.12.2 ". Is that a typo then?

Rafał Krzewski

Oct 9, 2018, 5:56:38 AM10/9/18
to Scala IDE User
Ah, yes that was a typo, sorry :)

Harshad RJ

Nov 28, 2018, 12:51:57 AM11/28/18
to Scala IDE User
This works well for me and enabled me to switch to Photon. Thanks Rafal for making and sharing this build!

-Harshad

Arnaud

Dec 2, 2018, 5:51:44 AM12/2/18
to Scala IDE User
The unofficial build works well for me too.
It fixed also a weird bug from previous official version on Oxygen (Exception on full project rebuild after clear).

thanks Rafał!

Silvio

Dec 25, 2018, 6:34:55 AM12/25/18
to Scala IDE User
Hello Rafal,

Thanks to your unofficial release I have been able to keep my Scala environment working after switching to Eclipse Photon. I want to report back with my experiences after running Scala-IDE on Photon and OpenJDK11 on Ubuntu 18.10. Although I only use Eclipse as a compiling code editor with code completion and do not employ the more fancy features like macros and refactoring this may help people decide about possibly upgrading to Photon or JDK11.

The editor and code completion part works flawlessly. The completion popup window sometimes leaves a jittering trail outside the Eclipse main window (I do not use full screen windows) that irritates me but maximizing+restoring makes it go away. I may not be related to the Scala plugin at all but I would not know since I do not use Eclipse for anything else. The incremental compiler also works fine. I use Ant for my release builds and that still works fine from inside Eclipse. As a whole my take is that my current setup works better than any previous Scale IDE version I have used!

I am a bit worried about the future though. I need to keep up with the latest JDK versions because I need to be able to produce builds for all released Java versions. I do not care for new features or other improvements to the Scala IDE as long as it keeps working with JDK12+ and preferably with Photon successors. Maybe you or someone else will provide patched versions in the future. If not we may all be forced to move on.

Whatever happens you have done a great job and helped me and others to keep going. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Silvio

Rafał Krzewski

Dec 30, 2018, 3:22:40 PM12/30/18
to Scala IDE User
Hi all,

a new build is available. It includes Scala 2.12.8 and Zinc 1.2.5

it was compiled with Eclipse Photon and JDK 8 but it works fine in Eclipse 2018-12 running on JDK11.

Sources:

Update site:
https://storage.googleapis.com/scala-ide-photon/

Cheers,
Rafał

Cat LLC

Dec 30, 2018, 3:53:30 PM12/30/18
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
It works awesome. I want to cry. Those stupid errors when trying to autocorrect were a pain, and the debugger not even working too.

Cat LLC

Dec 30, 2018, 3:59:16 PM12/30/18
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Ay idea why the developers and original sponsors moved on?
My understanding is it is an open source project so the update below shall be added as an official build right? There would always be someone improving the product.

Yohann Jardin

Feb 12, 2019, 7:10:18 AM2/12/19
to Scala IDE User
Awesome work. I was following your PRs on github, and just found your message here. It's such a relief.